Help w/ Macbook

MPW

Reaction score
I got my first Mac today (Mackbook 1.83GHz w/ 512 mb ram) and I am having some troubles:

1. It seems to be a little slow loading apps (Needs more Ram I think)
2.I can’t get it online using a Cable modem
3.When using iMovie how do you import video via USB 2.0?
4.How do you see how hot your Mac is running?

I am using the Macbook to learn DV editing, and to learn Mac OS X.

I am looking at the book “Mac OS X Tiger: Missing Manual” to help me understand the Mac OS is their a better book that I should look at?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
MPW said:
I got my first Mac today (Mackbook 1.83GHz w/ 512 mb ram) and I am having some troubles:

1. It seems to be a little slow loading apps (Needs more Ram I think)
2.I can’t get it online using a Cable modem
3.When using iMovie how do you import video via USB 2.0?
4.How do you see how hot your Mac is running?

I am using the Macbook to learn DV editing, and to learn Mac OS X.

I am looking at the book “Mac OS X Tiger: Missing Manual” to help me understand the Mac OS is their a better book that I should look at?

Thanks
1. Could be a RAM issue. If the apps aren't native then the take a performance hit also.

2. Are you using a router? Most cable modems require you to reboot them when switching from one device to another. A router will alleviate that problem. You can always call your ISP for help. More Info will help us help ou better here.

3. iMovie doesn't support USB 2 its a firewire only app for importing from a Cam. This should help.

4. You need to get something like Temperox or Temperature Monitor I use iStat Pro

I've heard nothing but good things about that book and combined with this forum you're in good hands.

OP
M

MPW

Reaction score
I have a DV port on my camcorder that I was told is a firewire port, so what do I need (cord) to use iMovie will my cam?

Thank a lot
BTW my MacBook is running at 33 C.

Reaction score
You will a need a DVD to firewire cable, sony calls it an iLink cable. You can get it for as little as 20. This si what you want: http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=393123 .

Take your modem of power for 15 minutes (this will reset your ISP's MAC-Addresses ) and then reconnect before booting.

Make sure you are not trying to connect to many computers at once, your number of IP's may be limited.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook @ 2ghz, 1 gig of ram, 100GB HDD
I use iStart Pro and Temoroax.
I love both.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.