New macbook help

M

mfrieze

Im looking to buy a macbook and I was wondering a few things. I was thinking about buying the $1099 macbook and then but 2 gigs of ram and then a 160gig hard drive. Also, since I already have a few dvd burners laying around I was thinking of just buying an enclosure and use the dvd burners I already have. So I have 2 questions. Is there much of a difference between the 1.83 and the 2.0 cpu? If I use a an external dvd burner will I be able to use that in programs like iDVD?

OP
K

Katie

if you wanted to get 2 gigs of RAM and 120 gb (that's the highest it goes) of hard drive space, I'd go ahead and just go with the 2.0. you're already going full out, so why not the extra $200 dollars? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
120gb isnt the largest HD anymore for laptops, or is that all the macbook can support?

buy any USB or Firewire drive enclosure 5.25" and it will fit your DVD drives.

OP
M

mfrieze

yes 160gig drive fits the macbook.. and i know that i can get an enclosure to make it work.. thats not my question.. my questions are simple.. does idvd work with an external drive? and is there much of a performance difference between the 2 cpu speeds? thank you

Reaction score
No, there is not much of a difference between the 2 cpu speeds. But it may be noticable depending on the apps you use.

Yes, iDVD will work with an external drive. Why wouldn't it?

Enjoy your MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
It only used to work with external drives via an easter egg, as apple wanted people to buy the more expensive mac configurations with built-in superdrive... now support is built in though.

OP
M

mfrieze

thank you guys for the reply. ill go for the cheaper notebook then.. no reason for paying 200 extra dollars for just little faster cpue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Mackbook 2g ram 2ghz, g3 powerPC 600Mhz, 30g video pod
ya the 160gig is the largest

Reaction score
mfrieze said:
thank you guys for the reply. ill go for the cheaper notebook then.. no reason for paying 200 extra dollars for just little faster cpue

that 'just a little faster cpu' might make a big diff when you run demanding apps...

shoulda gone with it...

OP
K

Katie

I didn't know you could have 160 gb in the Macbook, because apple.com only offers up to 120... so I just assumed that it couldn't have any higher.

OP
M

mfrieze

yeah i just dont want to buy hard drives and ram from apple, because I can get it so much cheaper. The main thing I will be doing with this notebook is music recording, a little movie editing, listening to music, im, and the ocasional world of warcraft on bootcamp. dont tell me that world of warcraft wont play on a macbook because i have done it before and it runs fine. nothing like 60fps but the human eye can only see 30fps so it doesn't bother me

but yeah i may go with the 2ghz model but i cant justify paying an extra 200 dollars for the small cpu difference

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
I thought SATA notebook drives only came in up to 120 GB...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
mfrieze said:
yeah i just dont want to buy hard drives and ram from apple, because I can get it so much cheaper. The main thing I will be doing with this notebook is music recording, a little movie editing, listening to music, im, and the ocasional world of warcraft on bootcamp. dont tell me that world of warcraft wont play on a macbook because i have done it before and it runs fine. nothing like 60fps but the human eye can only see 30fps so it doesn't bother me

but yeah i may go with the 2ghz model but i cant justify paying an extra 200 dollars for the small cpu difference
keep in mind your talking about 2 cores running at 2ghz rather then 1.83 so the difference might be bigger then you think... On a single core cpu the difference bettween 1.83 and 2ghz isnt very large.

OP
M

mfrieze

yeah i realize that. but honestly, will i see a difference in speed at all? those are all just numbers to me. I want to know if that cpu difference is gonna change anything. Like for garageband, imovie, idvd.. i mean if it takes another minute or so to convert a video file or something that is ok

Reaction score
A minute is a huge difference. If it would normally take two minutes and the slower cpu takes three, then that is 50% difference. What do you want people to tell you? I've already answered your question. If you are using the calculator, then no, you wont notice a difference. But with cpu intesive apps, you may notice a difference. Just buy one and enjoy it, and don't worry about such things. You will be happy with whichever one you choose. Neither one is slow, but the 2.0 is faster.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.