Bought a Powerbook G4 Have a couple of Questions

D

Dnc95

Hi Guy's I just switched to a Mac, so far I have mixed feelings, I love how the machine works, I'm just getting used to the whole mac world :)
Ok First question I have a 15 G4 Powerbook and it has Airport installed and it has a icon/button under the system preferences for bluetooth the person I bought it from said that it has bluetooth but when I click on it, the comp. says Bluetooth module not detected or something to that effect... Wondering how hard would it be to add the apple bluetooth module.

#2: I only have a 30gb harddrive, 512mb of ram and 6xx proccesor speed. How much and how dificult is it to upgrade these things (Point me in a different forum if it's more applicable)
#3: I have Itunes on my PC and I have a Motorola V3i Itunes phone, My pc recognizes the phone and I'm able to send music or play it off the phone my Powerbook does not let me do so, I have already downloaded the latest Itunes and still no luck,

Thank you in advance for your time and help, I appreciate it.
Danny

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
#1 - check System Profiler to see if you actually have Bluetooth installed. It should be installed. If its older add a USB one or see here.
#2 - RAM upgrade is fine, voids your warranty to upgrade your processor and hard drive, much harder
#3 - Motorola phones are supported for Address Book and Calendar functions, not music. See this link about music for it in the UK or Ireland, not all regions

Reaction score
2: Get an external HD, it's your best bet. Processor change is not really something you want to do. It'll probably mess things up. Should've checked that before buying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
Dnc95 said:
#2: I only have a 30gb harddrive, 512mb of ram and 6xx proccesor speed. How much and how dificult is it to upgrade these things (Point me in a different forum if it's more applicable)

Upgrading the HD in the titanium PowerBooks isn't super hard, but you should take a look at a take apart guidebefore you try it. There is probably an HD upgrade How-to on www.xlr8yourmac.com. If not, you should be able to find one using Google or maybe the search function here in the forums. If you aren't sure which model you have check www.everymac.com. There are processor upgrades available at www.4daystar.com, but you have to send in your computer and they are expensive. Its probably more economically feasible to sell this laptop and put the money towards a better one. If you upgrade the HD and the RAM you may not need anymore performance improvement... just depends what you are doing with this computer.

OP
D

Dnc95

Wow you guy's are awesome, I appreciate all the help, I love this forum lol. I just checked all the sites and I think I'm going to do some upgrades, I don't really have much planned for this computer but as of now it seems a little slow... It might just be that I'm used to my pc (Pent. 4, 3.06 Ghz and 1.47gigs of ram), The thing that bugs me the most right now is that when I turn on itunes and I try to listen to the radio it's very choppy almost like if I was on a Dial up and I was using the connection at work (T3). Any thoughts on what I'd need to upgrade to have my programs work a little faster or take Jhelm007's advice and just sell this one on Ebay, What's this thing worth anyway? I paid $500 shipped for it.

P.S. It doesn't have bluetooth :( Just wifi.

Thank you guy's again for taking the time to help a noob. It's a great help and very appreciated.
Danny

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
iTunes radio is often buggy on certain types of networks (lots of rebuffering pauses). I don't know why. I have the same problem on my macbook (had the same problem with a G3 powerbook too) when I am at work.

Dnc95 said:
What's this thing worth anyway?
It looks like they are going for ~500-600 on eBay.

P.S. It doesn't have bluetooth :( Just wifi.
If you need it, you can add bluetooth with a cheap USB adapter. I think they sell one at the Apple store. I don't think the Titanium is compatible with the apple internal BT adapter.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.