Having some trouble with a clamshell iBook.

S

Skilliz

I recently bought a slightly-used 366 mhz iBook off eBay (the kind with the 6 GB hard drive, grayish color instead of neon like the 300 mhz models) for occasional internet use and for playing with and I'm having some trouble with it. It came with OS 9.2.2 preinstalled, and I messed around with it for awhile, then I installed Panther on it, which also ran fine, and me, being the ever experimental person I am, tried to install Ubuntu Linux on it a few weeks later. That went smoothly, and it ran pretty well on it, but I decided I liked OS X better. So I tried to reinstall OS X, and the installer came up, but it didn't recognize the hard drive. I rebooted, and it began to run incredibly slow, and it recognized the HD, but about 1/4 into the hard drive wipe / install it crashes and tells me the install failed, and to retry. Also, when I try to use its original restore discs on it, it loads up a screen of grey lines and a cursor, but it won't let me move the mouse. :( Help?

Reaction score
If the install disc mounts, use the drop down menu to select disc utility. Does disc utility see the drive? Can you repair or erase from there?

Henry

OP
S

Skilliz

henrytaylor said:
If the install disc mounts, use the drop down menu to select disc utility. Does disc utility see the drive? Can you repair or erase from there?

Henry

Yeah, I've already tried this.. I tell it to erase the disc, it says it does, but when I boot up again, I still have the same problems and strangely, when I take the disc out, it still boots into Linux, but I get a kernel error.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.