Windows XP Activation?

Reaction score
I just installed windows xp on my macbook using a copy of windows from my previous Dell computer. The product key that came with the copy of windows doesn't seem to work when I try it on my macbook. Is there any way to activate windows on my macbook with this copy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
No, you have to buy another purchase another license. The key that came with your Dell was for your Dell and only your Dell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook, 2GHz Intel, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD
Yeah, just ring Miscrosoft up, they give you a free phone number, you may have to blag it a bit. I've got XP working on 6 machines!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All you have to try it by the internet first, then they give you a number to ring. If you have any more questions about this send me a message.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I'd be careful about bragging that you got 1 copy of XP to work on 6 machines. Software piracy, ANY software piracy, is very frowned upon in this forum and will get you banned very quickly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
yeah, if you have the same serial key on 6 comps your breaking the EULA and yes MS can see if you are using the same on all 6, wouldnt suprise me if one day 5 of your system shut down and wont start until you buy new keys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What you obviously realise is I don't have an OEM copy of XP... I own a full copy, which basically means I can install it onto 5 machines without any hassle. The 6th isn't connected to the internet is used as a PC for creating music.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Actually no wind_man, you're breaking the terms of the EULA and committing piracy. A full version of XP does NOT give you a license to install on 5 machines. We don't allow any discussion of piracy or illegal activity here. I'd strongly suggest you check the forum rules before you continue down this slippery slope.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I'm sorry
I'm obviously in the wrong. I'm always skimming through the licencing rules. Gonna have to read a lot more closer from now on to avoid confusiod in the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the license in XP i beleive lets 5 other users connedt to your computer - such as if you ran IIS or a web server or other server, only 5 users could connect.

XP retail or OEM only entitles you to install the product on 1 computer.

And OEM copy is only to be installed on a single system and "by their rules" can not be moved to another system ever - retail can be put on new computer or diff ones , onyl one at a time, as often as you like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mathiau said:
And OEM copy is only to be installed on a single system and "by their rules" can not be moved to another system ever - retail can be put on new computer or diff ones , onyl one at a time, as often as you like.

Microsoft will allow you to move your OEM copy over to another computer as long as you deactivate your other copy first. But you have to ring them up and they have to confirm all of this.

Been doing a little reasearch into Windows licencing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the licensing i have read meant that if buying an OEM copy it is only to be installed on a single system and can not be moved, (OEM being the $130 dollar version with nothing fancy with it) Retail being he $300 version with all the nice packaging.

A retail copy however can be moved to any other system , as you said, as long as it is removed from the prior system

This is why you can not take say a Dell install Disk and use the key on another system, because it is licensed for installtion solely on that dell.

OEM and Retail disk use a different "code" base so to speak., an OEM code will not work with a Retail disk and vice versa, this is how MS knows if it is an OEM install or a Retail install.

Reaction score
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/eula.mspx (MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION (RETAIL) EULA)

You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Software on a single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device ("Workstation Computer"). The Software may not be used by more than one processor at any one time on any single Workstation Computer.

Straight from Microsoft.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
So wait, can you uninstall XP from a computer and install it on another, and still be in the clear?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz White MacBook, 1gb RAM, superdrive, 22in trinitron external monitor, 60gb internal, 300gb ext
thats how I'd read that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Software may not be used by more than one processor at any one time on any single Workstation Computer.

So technically, running it on a multi-processor machine is illegal....?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
baggss said:
So technically, running it on a multi-processor machine is illegal....?

Yeah I was goingi to ask that... Is that home or pro verson that has that EULA or are they the same?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The post says Home....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Home is designed for a Single CPU machine. Always has been. So that explains that. As long as you have the Full Install of Home or Pro, You can reinstall it on another machine as long as you take it off your existing machine. When activating, you may have to talk to a Microsoft person and they will give you a new number. They will ask you if you are running it on any other machine. I used to change motherboards and CPU's all the time so am no stranger with talking to Microsoft.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.