Switched But Still Have To Use Pc

A

Annie

I work at home and software I use will only work on Windows so I have to keep my pc. I ordered one of the macbooks: here are the specs

2.0GHz Intel Core Duo 065-6307
1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512 065-6233
60GB Serial ATA drive 065-6226
SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW) 065-6231
Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English 065-6235
Accessory Kit 065-6313

Stupid question coming up I know but I have DSL on my PC - how do I get Internet on my macbook? I don't have wireless right now just my dsl modem hooked up to my PC. Do I have to buy something or what? I have to keep Internet running on my PC at all times. Again I know absolutely nothing about this - my first mac and my first ever laptop. I am blind!!! Too many problems with Windows and I hate it which is why I bought the macbook - It should be here in about 5 days. Thanks guys.

Annie

OP
R

Rob

Yes, you will need to buy a router.

I suggest buying a Linksys Wireless G router.

OP
A

Annie

Rob said:
Yes, you will need to buy a router.

I suggest buying a Linksys Wireless G router.

Thanks - so I can share Internet with my windows PC AND my macbook?? Sorry - so dumb here - ask me any windows questions and I can answer it - I am clueless here - I've also never used wireless before, router, etc. so I am clueless when it comes to that even through windows only. I've never needed it due to having only one pc in my house. Thanks - I will buy it but then won't know what to do with it so I'll be back - lol

Oh - Is this the right one?

Linksys Dual-Band 2.4GHz Wireless A+G Broadband Router with 4-Port Switch
Model: WRT55AG

This is from Best Buy - they have many options for the one you suggested. it's 129.99 - thanks!

Annie

OP
A

Annie

Thanks so much Rob - I will get this and then I'll post back! Again you are a lifesaver!!

Annie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Just an FYI, you can run bootcamp and install Windows XP on yout MacBook. :)

Btw, congrats on your purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
Even though it will not have any effect on your internet connection, I still recommend the "G" wireless standard over "B" since it is about five times faster and that will really come in handy when you want to push large files from one computer to the other.

OP
A

Annie

eddiddiums said:
Even though it will not have any effect on your internet connection, I still recommend the "G" wireless standard over "B" since it is about five times faster and that will really come in handy when you want to push large files from one computer to the other.

Thanks - I did purcahse the G wireless - I've got the case now but no laptop - hopefully it won't take too long!

Oh another thing - I also ordered software - iWork and Mac OS X Tiger - Mac OS X Tiger will be on my laptop I'm sure (duh) but wanted to make sure - What exactly is iWork - I don't do graphical presentations but do a lot of word processing (I am a writer) so what is best for me for word processing? Thanks so much - I'm headed to the post office to return this software today.

Annie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Annie said:
Thanks - I did purcahse the G wireless - I've got the case now but no laptop - hopefully it won't take too long!

Oh another thing - I also ordered software - iWork and Mac OS X Tiger - Mac OS X Tiger will be on my laptop I'm sure (duh) but wanted to make sure - What exactly is iWork - I don't do graphical presentations but do a lot of word processing (I am a writer) so what is best for me for word processing? Thanks so much - I'm headed to the post office to return this software today.

Annie

You can get an idea of what iWork does here. http://www.apple.com/iwork/quicktour/ :)

Reaction score
Annie said:

Annie

If you ordered a new Mac from Apple, Tiger will be pre-installed and you'll have a DVD of the OS for repairs/add software/etc.

As for word processing, I don't know about any Apple software, but I do know three others.

Office 2004 for Mac (from Microsoft...costs a pretty penny)

OpenOffice at http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/ - this requires you to install X11 from the Mac OS X install DVD. As an X11 application, it won't have that Mac look and feel. It will look more like a regular Unix/Linux application (the buttons, scroll bars, etc.). This is the official port/version of OpenOffice for Mac, but the Intel version is community-built. That means it hasn't been blessed by the OpenOffice team and they do not officially support the Intel version. Yet.

NeoOffice at http://www.neooffice.org which is a modified version of OpenOffice and uses Cocoa and Java to give it the traditional Mac look. You do not need X11 for this version. There are 2 major version - one based on OpenOffice 1.2.2 (official release of NeoOffice) and an Alpha based on OpenOffice 2. An alpha version is a ver early test version, so you probably want to avoid using it for real work. OpenOffice 2 is more robust than v1.x. Also, Only the alpha version works on the Intel Macs.

Both versions of OpenOffice are free.

OP
R

Rob

Annie said:

Annie
Let me know if you have any trouble setting up that router! ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.