Changing administrator

Reaction score
Someone gave me an iMac (G3 with OSX installed) and I have been trying it out today. How do I change over the Administrator? Or can I? i.e., does the operating system belong to me or am I required to purchase a new OS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If they didn't include an original, retail version of the OS... then no, technically it doesn't belong to you and the installation is in violation of the EULA.
If you want to change the Admin user, the easiest way is to purchase a legal copy of the OS and reinstall it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
If they gave you the current administrator password, than it is pretty straight forward to create a new admin account and name it whatever you like:

1) Go to the blue apple in the upper left
2) Click on "system preferences"
3) In the "system" section, click on "accounts"
4) If the padlock is closed, click it and enter in the admin password to unlock the option pane
5) Click the plus(+) button to create a new account
6) Enter in the new account information, making sure to check the "allow user to administer this computer" checkbox
7) Click "create account"

That's it! Now that you have a new admin account you can log out of the existing account and log into a new, fresh account that still has admin rights. At this point feel free to go back to the accounts window and delete the old admin account.

Hope this helps!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.