Replacing office PC with Macbook?

G

goosegoose

Hi everyone,

New to the forum and have a question. I am interested in replacing my office desktop PC with a Macbook but need some encouragment or direction. My 2 main concerns as as follows:

1- Should I be concerned about running a Macbook continuously for 8-9 hours a day?

2- I plan to use an external monitor (19"), will the display be distoreted in anyway

My work mainly involves wordprocessing capabilities, presentation design, email, and Internet usage. Nothing to sophisticated. I have a mini at home and don't really want another, plus I just like the idea of a macbook.

Any suggestions? Is this just wishful thinking on my part?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Kepp the physical health of your laptop good. protect from exterior dust, keep it cool (see previous post) and the icurve might help ventilate. I don't think you can use both together, though. Since it's just office work, your not really flogging around the Core Duo 8 hours at a stretch, so keep you energy preferences economical and maintain your software, too.

About your resolution issue, it depends on what technology your display uses. I assume you have a 19" TFT - that'll be fine. LCDs, Plasmas or other TV-type things can have problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
I keep my laptop on, and on my desk all day long, only closing the lid at night and it runs just fine. The heat issues that people seem to complain about have never showed up on mine and the thing never crashes. I think that most of those after market coolers are just a waste of money and would not waste any of mine on one, however, the iCurve could be nice to put the keyboard in a nice typing position.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
goosegoose said:
1- Should I be concerned about running a Macbook continuously for 8-9 hours a day?
Nothing to be concerned with. In fact, leave it on 24/7... its better for the computer that way anyhow. :black:
goosegoose said:
2- I plan to use an external monitor (19"), will the display be distoreted in anyway
Again, nothing to worry about.

goosegoose said:
Any suggestions? Is this just wishful thinking on my part?
Not sure what your wishful thinking was for... was there something else that you were worried or concerned about? If so, please feel free to search the forums. I will tell you now that any and every question that you could possibly think of has been asked and answered here already. :black:

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Might I suggest you get a cable lock, if you plan to purchase a laptop. If you are not in an office where you can lock the door, it will come in handy. Even if you are in an office with a door, it will help in not tempting the cleaning crew.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.