Help!, Does my iMac have a virus?

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to my Mac and may have made the misstake of trusting Limewire. That's the only thing I can guess may have caused the problem I'm having. It's the last thing I was doing. Anyway, now I can't get on the internet at all. The airport express works - it send to my speakers with no problem. My wireless internet connection signal appears to be strong - but nothing.

One other thing that has also begun almost immediately with the internet problem is that when I click on Finder I get the spinning beachball for a good minute or two at least - almost to the point of having to do a shutdown - it's just frozen! The only thing that stops it is if I launch an Application from the Dock. Then, finally Finder will display the contents of my Home folder or Applications folder after another 30 seconds or so.

I have run Onyx. I have repaired permissions. I have run ClamX virus software against my Home Folder, Applications and individually against Safari and it has found 0 infected files. What might the problem be???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
Have you restarted? And btw, its most likely not a virus, macs don't have any viruses with this is effect right now. Actually, i only know of 1 mac virus.

OP
F
Reaction score
I have restarted...........

macAttack said:
Have you restarted? And btw, its most likely not a virus, macs don't have any viruses with this is effect right now. Actually, i only know of 1 mac virus.

I have restarted several times and done shut downs, etc. When I do, my free RAM increases, but the problem with Finder still goes on even with absolutely no applications open at all. i've had this machine since January and have had no problems to speak of until this. Of course, Mail doesn't work either, I guess because of the internet problem, but I've also noticed that Mail will not close by itself - I have to force quit each time.

I have Apple care. i guess I'll be on the phone tonight unless somebody has any ideas?!?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Open the Disc utility and run repair permissions. If you can't get there because of the Finder problem, boot from the DVD that came with your Machine (hold down Apple + C while starting the Mac). On the third install screen, go to the task bar and look for the option to run the disc utility. Run Repair permissions from there, then run the disc check and then reboot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
he already did that

insert your restore disk and repair the disk....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.