Is it worth it?

Reaction score
hey guys,

I have an opportunity to purchase a titamium powerbook pro g4 laptop at a cheap price....should i go for it or save up for a mac mini.

I guess i'm just wondering if the g4 will be obsolete in the near future..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
one thing you should think about to help with your decision is if you need the portability. if you don't need the portability of a laptop and can wait, then saving for a mini may be the best choice. Another thing to consider is the laptop comes with a keyboard and monitor, obviously, whereas you would need to buy them along with the mini (unless of course you have a spare already)

OP
Reaction score
Rob said:
Depends on how cheap.

But I would save up for the Mac Mini. ;)

very cheap...cousin bought a mac book pro.... he's practically giving it to me...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
can you grab the specs on it? do you need the minis power? do you already have a monitor?

OP
Reaction score
michaelstumpf said:
one thing you should think about to help with your decision is if you need the portability. if you don't need the portability of a laptop and can wait, then saving for a mini may be the best choice. Another thing to consider is the laptop comes with a keyboard and monitor, obviously, whereas you would need to buy them along with the mini (unless of course you have a spare already)

i rather keep it home since I use a windows laptop daily....and carry it back and forth to work (company issued)

I just don't know how long it would last me since g4 are discontinued...

OP
Reaction score
macAttack said:
can you grab the specs on it? do you need the minis power? do you already have a monitor?

i believe it is a 1.8 ghz......i forget, but it's up there. It's a 17 inch monster with 1gb ram and super drive. My cousin's a designer.

i was going to use my digital sony monitor from my PC..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
If he's practically giving it to you then why not? If it doesn't meet your needs just buy another Mac later. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
If it's practically given, why not? As michaelstumpf said, it all depends on how mobile you want to be. the mini will ultimately be faster, save up now for something faster later!

zal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BackMac Book 2Ghz Duo-Core, iMac G3(running Os X)
i say go for it!

also, which SVT vehicle do you drive, Corbra? or Focus? or do you drive one at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
powerbook

hi

i would grab the powerbook with both hands.

it is way better than a mini IMHO

just becos g4 has gone means nothing zero nowt

ppc machines are still fabulous computers theres

too much hype on the intel ones. i speak with authority

because i own BOTH!!!!!!!!!

kind regards

p.s. go powerbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
How much are you getting it for then?
If its a good enough deal, thats a sweet machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
Go for it man! the 17" PBs even the G4s aren't going to be obsolete for at least a few years and they are suuuwwwweeeeet.

R

Rob

01_SVT said:
very cheap...cousin bought a mac book pro.... he's practically giving it to me...
What I would do is, take that Mac as a kicker for a little while and save up for a better Mac such as an iMac, MacBook, or MacBook Pro. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.