external firewire HD wont mount!

E

eceon

last night, i noticed that one of my external firewire hard drives was not detected on the desktop or finder. at first i thought it was a panther issue, but noticed the drive not being detected within my classic mode. right now, i am sitting at work in front of one of our G3 machines runnnig os9 and the drive is still not mounting.

i should also mention that i have run Disk Warrior and Techtool Pro last night hoping to resolve this issue. however, i was not able to fix anything because the drive was not being detected by my computer.

at the moment, the hard drive is starting to make clicking noises and inconsistent whirring noises too. this machine cannot detect the hard drive at all, and i have ruled out that it is a firewire cable issue.

the hard drive i have is an Ezquest Cobra firewire 80gig drive. i have run all the latest firmware updates so that it is all compliant with Panther. but, this problem seems to go beyond the operating system and persists on different machines and operating systems.

please help me! i have a lot of valuable data on here that i would like to salvage if i can. if not, i am willing to live with that. as long as i have a working external hard drive again. excuse me while i go cry now... help me

e

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
hard drives clicking is a very bad thing. the drive itself could be dieing.

OP
E

eceon

is there a way for me to force mount the hard drive so that i can test, remedy and/or format the drive using Disk Warrior or Techtool Pro?

OP
C

consuelo58

What kind of firewire dirve?

I had the same problem, with the Oxford 200 firewire drive. Later I learned the G4 400 CPU does really want to recognize 200 Gig HD, even though I was running Panther, I installed OS 9 in the backround to mount the drive. Also with a big drive like that you should partition it. Now it is mounting. Go figure. Hope this helps.
Consuelo

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.