questions on macs

W

walshy

I have been giving this a lot of thought lately and was thinking of purchasing a macbook but I have many questions on macs because of being a pc user all my life. So if anybody could answer a question or two I would be very greatful. (most of them are gonna be pretty stupid)

1. I know the whole selling point is that macs are suppose to be "fun" which is great but do they come with a word or spreadsheet program out of the box? I have business stuff to be done too.

2. I have a usb capture card that i use for my pc would that be useable by the mac with same software? or do i have to get a whole new card, and if so can anyone point me in the direction.

3. Is it really true you dont get viruses?

4. I was looking at the macbook, and was wondering if that would be a smart buy, any major problems with that model or is it pretty solid?

5. Printers- any certain kind work better with them or are macs pretty versitile?

Thats about it for now but im sure im forgetting something, thanks ahead of time for any help.

Reaction score
walshy said:
I have been giving this a lot of thought lately and was thinking of purchasing a macbook but I have many questions on macs because of being a pc user all my life. So if anybody could answer a question or two I would be very greatful. (most of them are gonna be pretty stupid)

1. I know the whole selling point is that macs are suppose to be "fun" which is great but do they come with a word or spreadsheet program out of the box? I have business stuff to be done too.

2. I have a usb capture card that i use for my pc would that be useable by the mac with same software? or do i have to get a whole new card, and if so can anyone point me in the direction.

3. Is it really true you dont get viruses?

4. I was looking at the macbook, and was wondering if that would be a smart buy, any major problems with that model or is it pretty solid?

5. Printers- any certain kind work better with them or are macs pretty versitile?

Thats about it for now but im sure im forgetting something, thanks ahead of time for any help.

I am about to switch over to a mac probably after the big conference that is going on in San Fran in a couple of weeks. I just want to make sure that if I buy now I won't miss anything "major".

1.- If you are concerned about you word, excel, M$ docs, buy Office 2004 for MAC.

2.- The mac should have no problem recognizing a "usb" plug and play capture card. I would also go to that manufacturer's website and see if there are any driver's or if it's driver's are compatible for a mac. You know mac's have USB ports as well.
And they boast to have ALOT of driver's installed into them right out of the box.

3.- I think there are over 114,000 viruses for pc and there was 1 for a mac many years ago.

4.- I have been researching the macbook as well, and haven't come across any major issue's reported on any forums. If there are problems, it only a small amount with issues. Heat can be an issue too, BUT EVERY laptop has that problem!

5.- Any USB or Firewire port printer should work just fine.

Grant it I am a noob on these macs (pc user/builder for 12 years), I have done ALOT of reading and visited the Apple store 3 times allready to make sure my wife and I will purchase a MAC in a few weeks.

Good luck in your decision. Also use the "search" function for any topics that may have been duscussed.

-jeremy-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
To help answer question 2 better, what model capture card do you have?
If the manufacturer doesn't make mac software, that doesn't necessarily mean it won't work with other software such as iMovie which comes on all new macs, but it doesn't mean it does also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
The Applenator said:
Good luck in your decision. Also use the "search" function for any topics that may have been duscussed.
-jeremy-

I can tell I am going to like you ... already trying to help out the community...

Welcome to the forums, both of you.

OP
W

walshy

TY guys lots of helpful information here i really appreciate it and Im really excited about purchasing a new macbook

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.