• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Access Hard Drive From Anywhere?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro/ 2.4GHZ / 2GB
I want to know if there is a program, service, or way using a server to make a computer with a mass of data on it's harddrive be available anywhere across the net with a password and username. i have considered FTP but then it would not update my files if someone changes them in the office and i am out of town. Basically, i need some way of contact with my office hard drive, live, whenever i am connected to the internet...

OP
Kuturagi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro/ 2.4GHZ / 2GB
It would really be helpful if ANYONE had any info for me please...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
If you setup a VPN server at your office you could connect to that from out on the internet and it would be as if you are directly connected to the office network. I know OS X has some kind of built in VPN support but I've never messed around with it and have don't know how to set on up. Go to www.openvpn.net and see if that's what your looking for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
Humm, the easiest way might be to install a FTP server program on the computer you wish to access remotely. There are a few things to keep in mind here though:

1) If you have a router or firewall, you will have to punch a hole for your FTP to work
2) You will have to know the external IP address of the computer you wish to access while on the road.
3) FTP servers are a red flag to port scanning script kiddies, so be careful what you share on your FTP and use a very good password.
4) Most cable and DSL providers prohibit running any kind of a server off of your internet connection. This has never been a problem for me because mine is for personal use only and sees very little traffic, but if you start running a warez server, expect to have the plug pulled by your ISP.

Now you are probably wondering what FTP software you should use, and I really wish I could help. I use Cerberus FTP on my home machine, but they do not make a Mac version. Perhaps someone else here can help in that department.

Reaction score
Do it the easy way by going to System Preference > Sharing > Click the little box next to Remote login.

You will have to forward port 22 to your IP if you have a router.

OP
Kuturagi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro/ 2.4GHZ / 2GB
Actually, the computer to be accessed is a PC and i would be using my Mac while some employees would be using a PC. The interest of an FTP has caught my attention, but it seems that it would get in the way of my ISP... I will keep this in mind and will happily take more help on this matter :black:

Also, thanks to those who have replied so far, you have given me good ideas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
VPN will work across platforms. When I get the time it's what I'm going to use so I can connect to my home network, which contains multiple PC's, from the road with my Mac, so I'll have access to the drives and printers and such that are at my house.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.