• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMac G5 won't play avi videos

Reaction score
My iMac G5 won't play downloaded videos in avi format. When I try to play it it just shows a white screen with garbled audio. The file works fine on my brothers imac when he plays the file with quicktime, but mine is just white screen. Anybody know what the problem is?

Reaction score
You need the right codecs for the avi video. Chances are it will be using a popular codec such as the DivX codec. You can download that at http://www.divx.com .

Dont worry, there's nothing wrong with your iMac, it's simply that you havent put on the software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
or you can just go and get Perian and install that and that will allow you to play just about everything you can find in quicktime as well as all the audio.

highly recommend

with perian you will be able to play all of this with quicktime:

AVI, FLV, and MKV file formats
MS-MPEG4 v1 & v2, DivX, 3ivX, H.264, FLV1, FSV1, VP6, H263I, VP3, HuffYUV, FFVHuff, MPEG1 & MPEG2 Video, Fraps, Windows Media Audio v1 & v2, Flash ADPCM, Xiph Vorbis (in Matroska), MPEG Layer II Audio
AVI support for: AAC, AC3 Audio, H.264, MPEG4, and VBR MP3
Subtitle support for SSA and SRT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro quad 2.66, 5gb Ram, ATI 512mb X1900 XT, 4x500gb
You need to download the right codec for the file type - got to Apple downloads and get them most are free. But the easiest thing to do is get VLC player which will play just about anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13 inch 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Another vote for VLC. It's free and played absolutely every kind of file I have. It's the best download I've got.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.