mac mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powermacG5 2.3ghz 2gig ram running logicpro7
Hi

today my mail app will open but i get the spinning wheel of death and it wont load my emails does anyone know how to fix this problem?

cheers

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
right i've tried to do the disc utility, when i try to verify the disk permissions i get "first aid failed the underlying task reported failure on exit"

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
Volume Header needs minor repair
The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

yet i cant repair the drive as the 'repair disc" is greyed out and cant be pressed.

anyone know where am going wrong?

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
I would try to boot into "Safe Mode" (press the shift key just after hearing the chime when the system is booting) and then try First Aid again.

U

UncSki1218

yeah first try booting up in safe mode and try doing disk utility again. you could also try using a utility like onyx or cocktail.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hi i have tried onyx and the app didnt do anthing so i then botted from my osx disc and if fixed the volume that needed repair...... but my mail still wont load i am using imap mail so i know it all on the server still. Its just i'd rather being the mail app than going online everytime i want to send mail.

anyone else know how i could fix the mail problem? the mail loads up but my inbox looks blank then i get the spinning wheel and cant do any changes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.4 Ghz 2GB RAM
I had that same problem.

I would open up Mail and the beach ball just kept spinning and spinning.

What have to do is go to the airport icon in the bar and turn it off. Then I think it stopping spinning. Then just turn it on again. Fool around with that and get back to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
If you now need to do that every time, you can also try to delete the mail preference file, called com.apple.mail.plist in library/preferences.

It will be rebuilt when you start Mail and you might have to redo some settings in Mail, but that should normally help.

Reaction score
Disk Utility is greyed out because it can't fix its own boot disk. You have to run it from the install DVD after the DVD has booted the machine. Or run fsck -fy as described here.

Reaction score
Same problem

I had this exact problem this morning, and I called tech support. Sure enough, they asked me to copy my mail files to the desktop and then had me delete that plist file you alluded to. My .mac account still existed when I started mail, but my other accounts did not and I had to create them again. Funny thing though, when I recreated the POP accounts, all of the emails were still there and I didn't even need the backup I made earlier.

Reaction score
Don't know where else to ask this question...

I switched from Entourage to mail a while back. When I receive email from users I don't know or from spammers their email address stays in the Entourage program. So if I select new and start typing even an address that is not in my address book will be there. In Entourage there was a way to clear all those unwanted email addresses.

Is there such a thing for the mac mail application?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20 inch dual core. 16 GB ipad.
Don't get me wrong I love my Mac but the biggest problem I've had with any app is with mail. I changed to Thunderbird and everything has been ok since.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.