• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Importing video from digital camera

Reaction score
I have an HP digital camera, and I'm not sure how to get recorded videos from the digital camera to the mac... iPhoto took forever importing everything from the memory card, but I was unable to find the movies, so I'm assuming they weren't actually imported... anyone have any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
well, are you using a card reader or a direct cable from the camera? Either way i think it mounts teh card as a drive, you should be able to go on the drive on the desktop, and find the video and drag it to your computer. However, i'm unfamiliar with the HP file naming system so I can't help you there. Its unusual that iphoto didn't import them, they'll look just like a photo except a dark little strip down the bottom with a little movie camera picture and the length of the movie.

OP
C
Reaction score
i'm importing directly from the camera through an externally-powered dock... and no drive shows up on the desktop when the camera is attached... i figured that would happen, and was baffled when it didn't...

the import process through iPhoto took forever, causing me to assume that they had been imported... but they're not found anywhere... color me stumped...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Most HP cameras have a setting in the setup in the camera you have to change to have the card mount as a drive. The setting is usually called USB settings or something like that. I have worked with 3 different HP Digital cameras and all had that setting. Change that and it should mount on the desktop. Just checked an HP camera and you set it to Disk Drive.

OP
C
Reaction score
I am away from my mac right now (boo work) but will definitely give that a shot when I get home... Thanks!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Glad I could help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.