• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

MacBook vs. Dell in a heat match

Reaction score
We all know that MacBooks run a little hot, but do they run unusually hot? Well, Krische onLine wanted to find out so they did a fairly unscientific test. Take one MacBook and one Dell Latitude D620 and have them play a DVD. While they are playing measure the temperature and see what the data says. Both machines sport the same processor (how odd is it that the latest and greatest from Dell and Apple both have the same chip in them?) and they were both in the same environment for the test.

Link to full story HERE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
as unscientific as that is it does sound pretty good and i am kinda surprised that in the end the average temp was pretty close to the same

interesting read but to be taken with grain of salt
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I'm not really surprised at all. As basic and simplistic as this test was, it goes to show one thing... notebook computers run hot, no matter what the manufacturer. All of these crazies that are paranoid about the temps of their Macs or under this delusion that Macs run super hot or way hotter than anyone else..... well they are just full of hot air themselves. There was practically no difference in that comparison. I am sure that would carry over no matter what manufacturer you put the MacBook up against. Heck, there are times when I am sure that the MacBook would probably register cooler than another notebook.

OP
coltssaturday
Reaction score
Yeah but why does the mac book pro not get any problems like the macbook does. Is it because it is cheaper?

J

JKrouth

Do you think the 1 gig of RAM had anything to do with it? Maybe the Dell didnt have to work as hard so it wasnt as warm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
coltssaturday said:
Yeah but why does the mac book pro not get any problems like the macbook does. Is it because it is cheaper?

I believe it has to do with the case's material and the size difference... but i haven't seen any in real life yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
JKrouth said:
Do you think the 1 gig of RAM had anything to do with it? Maybe the Dell didnt have to work as hard so it wasnt as warm.

it probably had more to do with the fact that the dell has fans.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
coltssaturday said:

i've heard quite a few people comment on the heat of the mbp. but again, the fact that it has fans and the macbook does not probably plays a role.

Reaction score
yeah, all the laptops i've owned will burn my legs if I have it on my lap for too long (especially if I hav shorts) thign is I havent been involved with any other laptop forums such as this, so I didnt hear them saying how they run so hot.... here I keep readin that they run hot, and I know mine does, and it makes me think that out laptops run hot..... its just in the head really, just psycological...

laptops just run hot... no other way aroudn to it....

I think that much heat diff isnt much, also one did have more ram (not sure if it matters, but it is more work for the macbook, also OS X is bit more cpu demanding then windows so maybe CPU was working a bit more?)

also remember, macbooks dont have fans.... not that its a bad thing (i hope) but that would make that 10 degree diff... apparently the macbook engineers thought that much heat diff wouldnt be a bad thing, and they sparing the fan runs the computer quieter and also less battery demanding, just makes it run around 10 degrees hotter then normal (which is acceptable to me if its ok with mac engineers lol) i'm sure there was intensive testing of a macbook with a fan, and they thought it was ok without it, hence why ours dont have it :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.