Nervous

Reaction score
Well, we're gonna start a small graphic design and printing business. So I decided that I should get the best computer that could handle graphics. Decided on an iMac Intel Core Duo 20-inch one, and wanna add maybe 1gig more for mem. I've been a PC user since forever and this'll be the first Mac I'll touch. So I'm kinda apprehensive on spending this much money on something I'm not so familiar with... but would make my work easier.
So...
My questions are:

1. How long would it take a new Mac user to get used to the whole OS?
2. How different is it from PC?
3. What are the common problems new users would face during the "transition" from PC to Mac?
4. I'll be using Photoshop and I heard it's kinda slow running on this unit... how slow is it? And is it really a HUGE problem? o_O
5. Is the mac interface user-friendly? idiot-proof? Like.. I don't like compy mumbo-jumbo... all I ever do is design, chat, listen to music, surf, and transfer songs to my phone via bluetooth...

I'm hesitant... but also excited. I'm hoping I'll love it instantly, will get used to it real fast, and will never look back after that. :)

G

Geowge

1. It took me about 10 minutes to get used to the OS. For about ma week I was learning about everything it could do. It really depends.
2. Everything about it is better than a PC. I guess the only difference that apple hasen't really tackled completely is gaming.
3. Everything about the OS is different, but it is a lot easier. Typically you'll take a while to get used to the closing buttons on the left instead of the right, but that's expected. When I switched, that was about the only problem.
4. It's not unbearably slow, but it's not as fast as usual. The program isn't in binary yet, but it will be soon.
5. Yes. Yes. Yes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
Right now photoshop is slower than normal, but once the new version comes out it will fly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
edhel_espyn said:
3. What are the common problems new users would face during the "transition" from PC to Mac?
4. I'll be using Photoshop and I heard it's kinda slow running on this unit... how slow is it? And is it really a HUGE problem? o_O
5. Is the mac interface user-friendly? idiot-proof? Like.. I don't like compy mumbo-jumbo... all I ever do is design, chat, listen to music, surf, and transfer songs to my phone via bluetooth...

I'm hesitant... but also excited. I'm hoping I'll love it instantly, will get used to it real fast, and will never look back after that. :)

1. You start getting used to the os right away, but it could take a few weeks or months to actually be able to navigate like you could in windows.
2. It's pretty different than a windows pc. almost every task in the os is accomplished in a different way. Some differences are very small and you get used to it quickly, but some are vastly different and take a while to learn.
3. A lot of switchers' problems at the moment have to do with the Intel switch. Since a lot of programs aren't universal binary yet it can sometimes be hard to find a program to accomplish a task that will actually work on your computer. While most programs will run under rosetta, some others won't work until they are released as a universal binary. One example is flip4mac, a program that lets quicktime play Microsoft's wmv format. without this program it is nearly impossible to watch videos on quite a few websites. The universal version has been released as a beta, but its a bit hard to find at the moment.
4. I haven't used Photoshop on my Mac, so I can't comment on that.
5. Yes, OS X is user friendly, but it's not idiot proof. As long as a computer lets you change options and install programs, nothing is idiot proof. But as long as you're careful about what you're doing, you won't foul it up.

I just have one question. Are you having productivity problems in Windows that you think will be gone in OS X? Because I would be careful assuming that a Mac is automatically better for graphic work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
One thing I would like to add is that Photoshop is pretty near dog slow on startup (especially CS2) but once it is running it is still slow but bearable. I don't think that its speed is acceptable for a graphics designer but don't listen to the people that are going to tell u to buy an older G5 iMac for Photoshop, they're not thinking about the future and will be crying when all the people that didn't listen to them and got Intel are flying through PS 4x faster then they are.

E

eyerox

edhel_espyn said:
It really depends on what do from day to day. If all you're doing is chatting surfing listening to music and designing, then you should have a relatively easy transition.

edhel_espyn said:
Besides looking fabulous, it just feels like and operates like a Rolls Royce! Just wait until you see fast user switching a la Mac!

I switched from Mac after 4yrs to PC then back to Mac after 2yrs and the modern Mac is more like a PC than the Macs of old.

edhel_espyn said:
Understanding iPhoto was complicated compaired to Windows dedicated Photos filmstrip view.

Not having the Pictures and Fax Viewer was hard, as was not having the Paint program.

The My Computer icon is still there and when you click on it you can see what is on your computer at a fast glance, although the navigation isn't quite like (or as good as depending on your experience) Windows Explorer but you will get used to it fairly quickly.

The security side of it is more up front with the capability to lock down any changes to your system/user profile with password protection and padlock icons which open/shut with your password.

That side of things can be a little confusing to a Windows user who may not be used to things being locked down but you can always leave the settings unlocked (bad idea though).

Downloading was confusing to me as I couldn't find a free download mgr (doesn't mean they're not out there...) and until I got broadband downloading huge files/apps/updates was somewhat frustrating.

edhel_espyn said:
Can't comment on this as I don't use Photoshop...

edhel_espyn said:
Then your experience should be one of ease...All the most used program icons sitting on the bottom of the screen on the "Dock" which is a dream to use, Everything that you are used to is there in the Mac even if it is not exactly the same it's still there and just a matter of being patient and enjoying the experience!

edhel_espyn said:

Be hesitant, nothing wrong with that, perfectly normal.

Be excited 'cos it's a thrill.

You will love it instantly, no doubt about that. You will get used to it real fast even if some of the procedures bug you at first and you won't look back but I know you'll have the best of both worlds. :miner:

Reaction score
edhel_espyn said:
Well, we're gonna start a small graphic design and printing business. So I decided that I should get the best computer that could handle graphics. Decided on an iMac Intel Core Duo 20-inch one, and wanna add maybe 1gig more for mem. I've been a PC user since forever and this'll be the first Mac I'll touch. So I'm kinda apprehensive on spending this much money on something I'm not so familiar with... but would make my work easier.
So...
My questions are:

I just switched from PC to an Intel iMac. It is very fast, very easy, very intuitive, and wonderful in every way. I highly recommend it. It took me about one hour to learn OS X pretty well. Go for it!

I

iLoki

Don't hesitate; I did for two years, now I'm kicking my self. OS X is a dream to use. I had no problems with the transition, actually I’m on a PC at work right now and I keep looking for the command key…

I am also waiting for the UB of Photo Shop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

It shouldn't take too long, it took me about an hour to get used to the feel of OS X, and I knew my way in and out cleanly in about three.

VERY different, but in a better way. I find the hardware is much better, running Windows in Boot Camp is much more efficient than any other PC I've used. It's entirely different, but you won't doubt it.

Generally, getting used to the "Command" button instead of "Control." Because I work with both OSes on a daily basis, I often get the two confused. Not to worry though, it's not that big.

Slow enough to not be worth it's price. Use GIMP, it's an EXCELLENT replacement for Photoshop.

It's VERY user-friendly, usable right out of the box, which is part of why Apple is so popular. Nothing is ever idiot-proof. But from what you do, a Mac is PERFECT for your needs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.