Drive Tray inactive

P

patrickmulcahy

Have had a iMac 17 for 11 months and really happy with the switch from Windows 98. Managed to do most stuff without too many problems except this week! Got broadband and downloaded MSN Messenger. This put itself on the desktop as a dmg file. I then installed it and I think it "mounted itself" - not sure of terminolgy. Anyway having got feed up with using messenger I dragged this file and the dmg file into trash and emptied trash.

My drive tray now refuses to open. is it because i didn't use Finder to "eject" the file?

Also downloaded OSx 10.2.8 and iTunes 4.2 - could these be the problem?

Oh - how do I direct "download manager" to put stuff in another directory rather than the desktop?

Grateful Mac convert needs help

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
patrickmulcahy said:
Have had a iMac 17 for 11 months and really happy with the switch from Windows 98. Managed to do most stuff without too many problems except this week! Got broadband and downloaded MSN Messenger. This put itself on the desktop as a dmg file. I then installed it and I think it "mounted itself" - not sure of terminolgy. Anyway having got feed up with using messenger I dragged this file and the dmg file into trash and emptied trash.

My drive tray now refuses to open. is it because i didn't use Finder to "eject" the file?

Also downloaded OSx 10.2.8 and iTunes 4.2 - could these be the problem?

Oh - how do I direct "download manager" to put stuff in another directory rather than the desktop?

Grateful Mac convert needs help

I've had this happen a few times and a full shutdown and reboot usually fixes it.

If you are using Safari you can change the download location from the preferences tab.

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.