Please Help Me!!! I'm New!!

Reaction score
Hello everyone!!

I'm new here, and this is my first post, so apologies if its not in the right place!

I have an ancient laptop at the moment, barely running Windowz 98(!), and think the way forward for me is to get an iMac...but have a question, can anyone help?

I have a Sony Handycam HC39E, can I download and burn my home movies with iDVD? It says in the camcorder manual you need a SONY VAIO series computer. Is this true? Surely not??!!!!!

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
If its a miniDV camera, you shouldn't have a problem I wouldn't think. You can just open iMovie and import your movies with a firewire cable.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for that...it says on box Mini DV digital video cassette. How can I find out 100% I can download onto my new computer? Don't want to spend £879 on a iMac only to find out I can't do what I want it to do??!!! :mad:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Does the Camera have a firewire port on it? You could also take the camera to an Apple store and ask them if you can hook it up and see....

OP
S
Reaction score
Sorry to be so thick...(!) but what does a firewire port look like???!! It says in the manual I need an i.LINK cable....
Good idea about trying an APPLE store! Thanx!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
singstar said:
Sorry to be so thick...(!) but what does a firewire port look like???!! It says in the manual I need an i.LINK cable....
Good idea about trying an APPLE store! Thanx!

Sony calls Firewire i.LINK. I found that out when my brother was trying to figure out his Sony camera. The port should look like the small end of the cable in this picture:

6x4.jpg

Reaction score
if your thinking of switching then you should if you no some with a mac then pop round and ask to try it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
or just pop in to your local mac store

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks everyone...went and brought Sony iLink cable(£29.99-BARGAIN!!!!!!!), but the 4-pin end doesn't fit into my camcorder/docking station. Have got someone with a mini mac who said he would try and get it to work on his, but got to take cable back to Sony shop first and hopefully get one that fits!! Will keep you posted!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
singstar said:
Thanks everyone...went and brought Sony iLink cable(£29.99-BARGAIN!!!!!!!), but the 4-pin end doesn't fit into my camcorder/docking station. Have got someone with a mini mac who said he would try and get it to work on his, but got to take cable back to Sony shop first and hopefully get one that fits!! Will keep you posted!

welcoem to the forums! Definitely keep us posted!

OP
S
Reaction score
I am a wally!!! :dummy: Went marching into my local Sony store with cable in hand only to watch the 3yr old shop assistant put the cable into the docking station first time!!! :mad: SO EMBARRASING!!!
Anyway, tried sucessfully managed to upload my videos onto my friends mac! Going out to buy my iMac tomorrow!!! Yipee!!! :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
singstar said:
I am a wally!!! :dummy: Went marching into my local Sony store with cable in hand only to watch the 3yr old shop assistant put the cable into the docking station first time!!! :mad: SO EMBARRASING!!!
Anyway, tried sucessfully managed to upload my videos onto my friends mac! Going out to buy my iMac tomorrow!!! Yipee!!! :cool:

Sweet!

Let us know how you like your iMac. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.