So I'm officially switching today...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
To give you some background, I've been a Windows guy since Windows 98, roughly 8 years now. This past December I bought a used G4 Cube off eBay, mostly because I thought it was cool-looking. I wasn't expecting much from the OS since I used OS9 in my graphics classes at school and wasn't overly impressed with it, but then I started using OS X on the Cube and got hooked. However, I wanted a faster machine since the stock 450mhz processor wasn't cutting it and the dual 1.6ghz processor upgrade I wanted cost nearly $600 (the cost of an entry-level Mini!).

Around this time, my wife started playing with my Cube and really fell in love with OS X. For her birthday, I sold her tricked-out Dell and got her an Intel iMac, which she absolutely loves (okay, mostly I got it to get her off my precious Cube!). Jealous but now poor, I bided my time, waiting for an opportunity to pick up an Intel Mini. While I was waiting, I did a lot of research and wrote up a couple articles on upgrading the Macs (see my sig). I was finally was able to get used 1.5ghz Core Solo Mini last month. I tricked it out with some upgrade parts and enjoyed it for about a month before I decided that I needed something more portable, so I picked up a used MacBook in perfect condition (easy way to avoid getting a 'problem child' directly from Apple, heh). Sadly the Mini is going on eBay tomorrow to fund my MacBook; I really love the little guy but he's not very functional when I drop him in my backpack, so he has to go.

All this time I have been gradually selling off or giving away my PC stuff until I was down to my last computer, a Gateway 7405gx laptop. This laptop has been my pride and joy for the last year and a half. It had everything I wanted - integrated card reader, wireless, DVD burner, 2ghz Athlon, 15.4" glossy widescreen - plus was upgraded to my liking - 2 gigs of ram, 100gb 7200rpm hard drive, Windows XP Pro. It is a very, very fast machine. So it is with some regret that I am delivering it to it's new owner today. You have to understand, I'm a total hardware geek and parting with this machine is like giving your pet dog or cat away :eek:

So farewell, my last PC. I now have a beautiful, lightweight MacBook that runs Windows better and faster than it could in a smaller and less-toasty package. Between Boot Camp and Parallels, I am still able to function in 'real life' (i.e. work and school), but I can enjoy OS X whenever I want now. My new laptop won't melt my legs or break my back from it's weight (the Gateway is 7.5 pounds, not including the A/C adapter!). I don't need any other computers since my MacBook can do it all. Ah, life is good. It's a bittersweet goodbye, but as of today, I no longer own any PCs :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Very cool! That is a great switcher story. I remember you on Anandtech Forums. Used to read your posts all the time. I have always loved Macs but up till 2 or so years ago could not afford one fast enough to really keep up with my home made PC's. Finally like you I got a G4 except a 500Mhz Tower and OSX Panther and was hooked in a few hours. It's been slow but now I am 99% Mac and only use my Windows Boxes for helping me troubleshoot windows for the people I repair systems for and a few games. Down the line I will probably get one of the newer Intel Macs and have a small Windows install for those few games. I have XP on the Core Duo Mini but with the Intel Graphics some games I play would be a bit slow. Anyway Congrats on your total Switch!!

...Dennis

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
I was in the same boat as you. I got into computers around 93'-94' when DOS was still king. I've always heard of Apple but never really paid much attention to it since PC's were becoming the next big thing, especially once 95 came out. About 5 years ago i bought an iMac (the one with the round base) for my wife and she was frustrated with it since she didnt know the O/S and neither did I. We sold it never to go back again. Once the Intel chips came out I figured i'd give it a try since the one thing i absolutely loved was the ease of use when importing from a digital camcorder. I got her a macbook and with the pro care we were able to get one on one support which helped out a lot. Plus the apple store sent us a mini "how to" guide via email that answered a bunch of questions that i wish was available 5 years ago.

With that being said i have yet to install bootcamp and i enjoy the OS more and more every day. But i still have to work on Pc's since i'm a net admin. Enjoy the computer :)

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
dtravis7 said:
Very cool! That is a great switcher story. I remember you on Anandtech Forums. Used to read your posts all the time. I have always loved Macs but up till 2 or so years ago could not afford one fast enough to really keep up with my home made PC's. Finally like you I got a G4 except a 500Mhz Tower and OSX Panther and was hooked in a few hours. It's been slow but now I am 99% Mac and only use my Windows Boxes for helping me troubleshoot windows for the people I repair systems for and a few games. Down the line I will probably get one of the newer Intel Macs and have a small Windows install for those few games. I have XP on the Core Duo Mini but with the Intel Graphics some games I play would be a bit slow. Anyway Congrats on your total Switch!!

...Dennis

Hey thanks :) What's your username over on AT? I gained a ton of knowledge about computers over there when I was first getting into hardware. You get hated on if you're a Mac fan though lol.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
alucard said:
I was in the same boat as you. I got into computers around 93'-94' when DOS was still king. I've always heard of Apple but never really paid much attention to it since PC's were becoming the next big thing, especially once 95 came out. About 5 years ago i bought an iMac (the one with the round base) for my wife and she was frustrated with it since she didnt know the O/S and neither did I. We sold it never to go back again. Once the Intel chips came out I figured i'd give it a try since the one thing i absolutely loved was the ease of use when importing from a digital camcorder. I got her a macbook and with the pro care we were able to get one on one support which helped out a lot. Plus the apple store sent us a mini "how to" guide via email that answered a bunch of questions that i wish was available 5 years ago.

With that being said i have yet to install bootcamp and i enjoy the OS more and more every day. But i still have to work on Pc's since i'm a net admin. Enjoy the computer :)

Yeah, ditto. I'm the IT guy at a local manufacturing company plus I do contract IT work, so the need for Windows is a must. With Parallels, I can run 95/98/2000/XP virtually in OS X and carry everything around in my dinky little 13" 5-pound MacBook. I think it's great!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
kaidomac said:
Hey thanks :) What's your username over on AT? I gained a ton of knowledge about computers over there when I was first getting into hardware. You get hated on if you're a Mac fan though lol.

I go by my real name of Dennis Travis there. It's one of the few systems where I do not use a handle. I know what you mean about hatred for Macs and Mac users there though! :spook: Funny thing is Anand loves and uses Macs!

Reaction score
It's nice to see your wife likes macs too. I am 18, and the only mac user in the house. My brother (9) is eying my mac and wants one, and wants to continue his gaming on the upcoming Nintendo Wii or PS3, maybe an XBOX 360. I told him windows will run too and he was thrilled about it. My dad won't buy one thoug because he doesn't believe Boot camp actually works. My mom has so much trouble with her pc that wouldn't be there with a mac, but her pc is new and spanks a 3.6GHz P4 with 1GB RAM 250GB HD and a really nice case with card reader and all.

My parents would love the mac. Especially when it can run windows once in a while. My dad is a DOS guy - I remember him teaching me how to type "win" at boot time to start Windows 3.1 - I loved playing with MS Paintbrush.

He wouldn't like a mac I think. He does obscure things like label CD's and record TV. To get the mac alternatives runs to expensive for him.

But I think I'll buy them a mac one day for anniversary. A Mac-only household is my dream, and boot-camp heightens the chances...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.