• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

i can't type this "~"

L

lamarck

hi everyone.

i have this sign ~ over number 5 but if i hit shift+5 a get %. everything else works
±!@#$%^&*()_+ - except the ~~ (i copied this ~ from terminal)

as i'm not english native speaker a also had other language installed. i thought that was the problem, so i set everything to english. date, time, language preff, just everything and still the same problem.
is there some trick tat i'm missing??? i'm new with mac. thank u all in advance.

Martin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Check your keyboard layout settings.

Sys Pref > International > Input Menu (tab)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
On both my windows box at work and my macbook the ~ is [shift+`] the ` is imediately to the left of 1.
Hope that helps.

OP
L

lamarck

DCraver said:
Check your keyboard layout settings.

Sys Pref > International > Input Menu (tab)

that was firs thing i did. i have US as default and Slovak as secondary. i tried to disable slovak and have just US with no success.

OP
L

lamarck

jhelm007 said:
On both my windows box at work and my macbook the ~ is [shift+`] the ` is imediately to the left of 1.
Hope that helps.

well i'm windows user so i thougth that too but i have ± in stead of ~.
§1234567890-= without shift
±!@#$%^&*()_+ with shift

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Go to 'international system prefs' and under input menu check the keyboard viewer option.

Also make sure 'show input menu in menu bar' option at the bottom is checked.

Click on the little flag that should appear in the menu bar, and select 'show keyboard viewer'.

A little diagram of your keyboard should pop up. Hold down different modifier keys (shift, command, alt etc.) to see the different symbols the keys input.

Btw: With a german layout it seems to be alt/option + n (~).
You can probably just leave the slovak layout btw.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
If you set your keyboard to English, you will get % for shift+5. You need to leave your keyboard setting to match the hardware, but you should be able to select the system language separately from the keyboard layout.

On my UK macbook, ~ is to the left of Z in the lower left corner of the screen, and is shift+`

OP
L

lamarck

cazabam said:
If you set your keyboard to English, you will get % for shift+5. You need to leave your keyboard setting to match the hardware, but you should be able to select the system language separately from the keyboard layout.

On my UK macbook, ~ is to the left of Z in the lower left corner of the screen, and is shift+`

thank u. that's the only button i didn' t try (the one next to Z). it's there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.