• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

i can't delete file from desktop

L

lamarck

i downloaded som apl. probably some game or something (i don't remember it was long time ago). i tried to install it but itt didn't go OK. so i wanted to delete the files. i deleted all of them except one. when i try to delete it it will say that the file is used by another task. grrr

i'm new with mac. i used PC all my life. i'm confused. if i delete something from anywhere in PC a can find it. if the file is used by other rogram i can close that program and delete file. or i can run win in safe mode with minimal things running and i will ged rid of that file. i even can download file schreder...
in mac i can't even list running processes. why is everything so dificult with mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
lamarck said:
i downloaded som apl. probably some game or something (i don't remember it was long time ago). i tried to install it but itt didn't go OK. so i wanted to delete the files. i deleted all of them except one. when i try to delete it it will say that the file is used by another task. grrr

i'm new with mac. i used PC all my life. i'm confused. if i delete something from anywhere in PC a can find it. if the file is used by other rogram i can close that program and delete file. or i can run win in safe mode with minimal things running and i will ged rid of that file. i even can download file schreder...
in mac i can't even list running processes. why is everything so dificult with mac?
I am guessing that you are trying to delete something while a .dmg file is still mounted. Either that or you haven't acutally quit the application and are trying to delete it while it is running.
Make sure that you have all apps quit then try again.
Mac is not difficult. But from the way you are describing it, you are making it more difficult than it is because you are still thinking Windows. By trying to compare tasks and features of one OS to the other, you are only going to make things harder in learing the new one.
:black:
Like I have said numerous times... UNlearn what you have learned. Forget how it is done or was done in Windows and focus on how to do it in Mac.
:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
If you open the activity monitor (Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor), you can see all the currently running processors. If you know which process causes the prob., simply select it and click "Quit Process" button on top left.

OP
L

lamarck

D3v1L80Y said:
I am guessing that you are trying to delete something while a .dmg file is still mounted. Either that or you haven't acutally quit the application and are trying to delete it while it is running.
Make sure that you have all apps quit then try again.
Mac is not difficult. But from the way you are describing it, you are making it more difficult than it is because you are still thinking Windows. By trying to compare tasks and features of one OS to the other, you are only going to make things harder in learing the new one.
:black:
Like I have said numerous times... UNlearn what you have learned. Forget how it is done or was done in Windows and focus on how to do it in Mac.
:)

hmm. okay. i'll try not to think windows:). so how do i unmout .dmg?? i did this like 1 year ago. nobody really uses this computer. so the apl should not be running:)

i don't have nothing on desktop that could be thrown in to the trash (i'm suggesting that's how it is unmounting done).

somebody already renamed this file to .sit . if i run this file it'll start to instal 7th Fleet Deluxe, but it never finishes (probably because other files are already gone)

please help

if i try to run it. i

OP
L

lamarck

re

novicew said:
If you open the activity monitor (Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor), you can see all the currently running processors. If you know which process causes the prob., simply select it and click "Quit Process" button on top left.

i don't have Activity Monitor, but i found Process Viewer. of course i have no idea about the name of process, but there is one that is called automount. but it's owned by root and i'm appearently not a root. how can i log in as root?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just what Mac do you own? Also which version of OSX is installed on it? Click the Blue Apple and then on About this Mac. What version of OSX is it? Sounds like a OLD version. There was a Process Viewer in Jaguar 10.2 I believe instead of Activity Monitor.

OP
L

lamarck

dtravis7 said:
Just what Mac do you own? Also which version of OSX is installed on it? Click the Blue Apple and then on About this Mac. What version of OSX is it? Sounds like a OLD version. There was a Process Viewed in Jaguar 10.2 I believe instead of Activity Monitor.

its imac G3, and version os OS is 10.2.8. (jaguar). i just downloaded all the updates for it. is it a big problem?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Also to add another question to dtravis7's list. What it the file or application that you are trying to delete?

OP
L

lamarck

rman said:
Also to add another question to dtravis7's list. What it the file or application that you are trying to delete?

dunno. some stupid old game. the installer says 7th Fleet deluxe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Cocktail 3.5 for jaguar should have a Force Empty trash feature.

•Also there may be a problem with the length or the type of file it is. Rename it, change it to a different extension like .txt and change the permissions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.