Opening Zip Files in Mac

D

dupressdsu

Is this "Stuffit Expander" the equivalent of Winzip? and is this the correct app for opening a .zip file for a Mac on OS X?

Thanks again

OP
A

adiliegro

I am pretty sure that you can open a .zip file with Stuffit...and yes, Stuffit is the Mac version (better) of WinZip.

OP
M

m0bster

but one that you will NEVER EVER regret. Good luck with your switch! Welcome to the good side!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Since 10.3 (?), you don't need an app to expand or create a zip archive. The Finder will do it just fine.

Stuffit is mostly for .sit/sitx files, and those are getting more and more rare.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
yea i still use stuffit to unzip files and unrarX to un-rar files. i never knew you could unzip a file through the os. good info
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Just doubleclick the ZIP file and watch it unzip!

OP
D

dupressdsu

Thank you....I will also look into the UnrarX as that is tool I shall surely need.

Reaction score
Please note that the Finder will not unzip password protected files. You still need Stuffit for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
You also can not password protect zip files with out stuff it it works bothw ways.. but if you don't have stuff-it and want to password protect something you can use .dmg (disk image)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.