What to do with a new Mac?

I

iLoki

Hi all,

Sorry this post is basicly just to say hi!

I'm just all fuzzy and excited at the moment, I have just ordered (after 2 years of humming and haring) my first ever Mac. An iMac 20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo with 1GB Ram. :cool: And I should get it in 2-3 days time.

I don't know anyone that has a Mac, nor have I ever used a Mac so this was a blind purchase and is going to be a totally new experience.

Any suggestions of cool things I can do out of the box? - Apart from play with iLife.

Logan.

OP
M

m0bster

hmmmm...out of the box? Anything that you want to do! No downloading drivers, patches, etc...just plug it in, hook up the DSL/CABLE modem and off you go. Shoot a movie with your video camera and put it on the Mac...and then to the web...simple. Shoot pictures with your digital camera and use iPhoto and play with them, organize them, upload them to a webite, print them...again, simple...or...create something with iDVD or iMovie...start blogging or create a website with iWeb...right out of the box, you can do all of these things.

Here is something for inspiration - go to this link...http://www.apple.com/getamac/ and click on the "out of the box" link. Sit back and enjoy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
things you can do right out of the box:
**send us a post 20 minutes after you recieve your new computer because unpacking and setup shouldnt take any longer than 10 minutes
**surf the web
**play with iLife
**you going to want to transfer all your info over from your old computer
**HAVE FUN!!!

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
It will work just great as soon as you connect it, but still you will need to run Software Update. Still, that is nothing compared to update a PC.
Some software i have or recommend you to download...
You Control: iTunes - http://www.yousoftware.com/itunes/itunes.php
VLC Media Player - http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14738
iWillQuit - http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26043
NoteBook 2 - http://www.circusponies.com/

Some links...
Interface Lift - http://interfacelift.com/
Cool OSX Apps - http://www.coolosxapps.net/
Has nothing to do with Apple or anything useful at all but you will check it anyway - http://www.evo.hr/cat/

Enjoy your Mac, remember it is a different OS so it is different, but it is worthy to to use and learn. Congratulations!

OP
I

iLoki

Hey, thanks guys, I am really looking forward to this experience. mraya: Primo links, thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
I think the best thing to do right now is to catch up, in fact get ahead, on sleep. I slept very little after getting my macbook pro- too much fun!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
I think the others have pretty much said it all. The only thing i can add is play around with OSX as much as you can and try out all the programs. :)

Reaction score
Blacksburg, VA - home of System X, making your pow
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 DA 466 MHz
I would recommend formatting the hard drive and re-installing OS X. Your hard drive will come pre-loaded with a myriad of crap (i.e. unecessary printer drivers, support for every language ever spoken, even trial versions of MS Office in some cases).

I would recommend the same course of action when getting a new windows pc, of course...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i would reccomend you update the system e.g 10.6 or 10.7 which i think is the latest version.

I would back up the post further up the page, it is TRUE that the more you use your mac the better it gets. I switches in August 2005 and it is almost a year that i have had my ibook g4 and i love it.

enjoy your new mac and play with all the programs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini Mac Intel Core Dou, 2 Gigs RAM, 100 GB hard drive.
10.4 is the latest OS. I found that there were very few files I didn't need on my Mac, and it came with 25 gigs used. The first thing I did was change my desktop. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
download adium for aim, don't even bother with ichat

adiumx.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
Within 15 minutes of unpacking my kids were making funny faces with photobooth. That was after I was already online over my wireless.

I've barely touched the surface of what is available, but everything I've downloaded to install went in without a problem.

One bone to pick though is the number of software updates from Apple that have come out in the three weeks I've had it. I've already upgraded the OS from 10.4.5 to 10.4.6 to 10.4.7. But at least it downloads, installs and restarts without problems. Nothing to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - White - 2.0GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HD
at least they acually make decent updates unlike windows ughh i hate windows update it is sooo slow

OP
I

iLoki

Well my new iMac arrived today, just waiting to get home and fire this bad boy up.

OP
I

iLoki

Well I'm here. On my new iMac, and all I can say is WOW! Why didn't I make the shift sooner?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - White - 2.0GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HD
iLoki said:
Well I'm here. On my new iMac, and all I can say is WOW! Why didn't I make the shift sooner?

im glad you siad that i think i will say the same thing when i get my macbook this christmas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac 1.83 Core Duo / 12" G4 iBook / 3G iPod (white) / 5G Video iPod (black)
iLoki said:
Hi all,

Sorry this post is basicly just to say hi!

I'm just all fuzzy and excited at the moment, I have just ordered (after 2 years of humming and haring) my first ever Mac. An iMac 20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo with 1GB Ram. :cool: And I should get it in 2-3 days time.

I don't know anyone that has a Mac, nor have I ever used a Mac so this was a blind purchase and is going to be a totally new experience.

Any suggestions of cool things I can do out of the box? - Apart from play with iLife.

Logan.

Logan,

You'll be having some great times doing stuff on your new Mac. If I might suggest some reading material - I would say purchase "The Missing Manual"
by David Pogue. This book has just about everything about OS X that you might ever need to know.

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Some great free programs for you:
1. Onyx for regular maintenance
2. Tinkertool for changing various settings
3. Quicksilver for quickly launching anything, etc...
4. NeoOffice latest Intel build runs great
5. Celestia for looking for constellations
6. Smultron- great text editor

To install anything, just download the DMG file, click okay when it warns you that it is an application and then drag it to your applications folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.