• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I Need to Vent a Little!

Reaction score
I also post in another computer forum that welcomes all platforms. I am very frustrated. I am a recent switcher and love my MacBook Pro and Apple as a whole. However, it seems that every time Mac or Apple is mentioned people feel the need to trash it.

I have never really experienced this before. Is this common? Do non-Mac users feel the need to bad-talk it every time someone thinks they may switch? Now that Apple is attracting more switchers than ever, it seems to be getting worse. The thing that really bothers me is that they spread untruth. They exaggerate the issues some experience.

Sorry, I don't mean to mucky up the forums over here, I just wanted to vent a little and maybe find some sort of answer to my frustration. Needless to say I will be spending more time over here and less in other places.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Well I do not believe this is the average forum, try not to allow bashing of any computers and most people are non-nerd enough to not care about what computer someone uses.

But yes, there are some hardcore nerds out there who will bash a PC to all extent and there are hardcore nerds who will bash Macs at no relent. We get posters in here all the time... I usually get a kick out of them. I suggest just ignoring it and not caring, and figure as long as mac is on the bottom of the chain the harder they will work to get on top = better products.

====

welcome to the forums and your signature is too large.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
There will always be those PC users who feel the need to trash something they don't understand. They'll take the time to tell to you how overpriced and substandard Apples Hardware is ad they'll tell you stories about how bad the OS is. Most of these folks have never seriously looked at a Mac, much less anything like your MBP which really IS a PC, very similar to anything produced by HP or Gateway, or have use the Mac OS since, say, the 2nd grade on an old Mac Classic running System 7. Many of them are so concerned that Macs don't do games and therefore don't think they are "real" computers. There is also the group whose attitude it "If I can't build it myself, it sucks" to contend with too.

This attitude has been around as long as the Mac platform has been around and will likely not change, even with Apple growing market share and the general shift in perception.

P

Princesa

I make the comment "oh you poor thing".... (to PC users) BUT then I ask why they use it, or if they have ever used a Mac, I'd rather educate on the benefits of a Mac then why a PC may be potentially a waste, or what is needed in the environment.

For as long as I can remember people always made fun of me for having a Mac but it was because they were ignorant to its power/quality/innovativeness etc... now I just show them something I've done and they go "wow" then I let them play and it changes their tune.

Until I could actually show something or say something though, I just ignored the jeers.

Reaction score
Magnetism

Well basically after some investigation I found out that the reason why PC users talk badly about Macs is because they are in love with Bill Gates :eek: . I found it hard to believe myself at first but apparently it's true. Got something to do with his glasses I think ?.

It's amazing what you can find out on the internet. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah, I believe everything online so its gota be true!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Ok, so Graphite is the exception to the rule.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
And just to be fair, there are more than a fair share of Mac users, especially recent switchers, who will bash anything Windows or Microsoft related without knowing what they're talking about.

Here at M-F, we really frown on flame wars and bashing of any kind. Both Mac and Windows machines have their strengths and opportunities.

M

menace3054

Graphite said:
yeah, I believe everything online so its gota be true!

lol take a look at this site: http://www.dhmo.org/

i was an undergraduate TA for an environmental sciences class, we made our students do a report on this website, absolutely hillarious what some people would say

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah thats pretty old... and its all true.

also its more fun if you don't explain it to people... some of them get scared until they write it down :biohazard

Reaction score
Graphite said:
yeah thats pretty old... and its all true.

also its more fun if you don't explain it to people... some of them get scared until they write it down :biohazard

What you mean like with pen and paper ? Do people do that ? wow, that is scary. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
just a few select people who'd rather not spend money on ink and toner
biohazard.png

seriously, I still use paper and pen for writing little notes down..

Cashmonee, Ive been using macs for years, and those who bash macs usually do so because they don't know better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
yeah...i have one friend who really hated macs. then I showed him my MBP. after a few minutes of using it, he was sold. I think it's ignorance more than anything.

OP
C
Reaction score
I agree that no bashing either way should take place. I just wish everyone could recommend what is best for someone and move on oh well. I feel alot better. Thank you guys for sympathising!

G

Groston

Venting

i'm no expert here, and i'm sure that pc's and macs both have their good points. The reasons why people switch are many and varied i'm sure. I've recently made the switch for my own reasons and i can confidently say i will never be switching back. However, to answer your 'venting' question, i think there are already some who are wondering why i've made the switch, and not one of them has ever used a mac or knows the first thing about them. I think its a human trait- we critisize until we understand. The only people who i have a problem with are those who PREFER to live in ignorance- who want to critisize macs and at the same time refuse to even have a five minute go on one in a shop. Still, like i say, it seems human nature. enjoy your mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
I prefer not to think of my macbook purchase as a 'switch', but more an 'addition to my arsenal' :)

I gave up on Windows years ago (except in a professional capacity, where I'm stuck with it) but I have many and various Unix-like OSes around the house. Buying a Mac wasn't a case of switching over to something else, but simply adding to what I already have.

Of course, there are people who can't understand why I wouldn't run *only* Windows/Linux/Mac/Other (delete as appropriate) but I come across less and less of them every day, and those I do find, I ignore. It's for the best, I think :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.