winows/OSX and Music

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.2gHz g4, 12 inch, 60 gig, 768RAM, bluetooth, ATI radeon 9200, macally bluetooth mouse, JBL speaker
Is it possible to have music on my Hard drive and listen to it from both OSX and windows.(not at the same time of course) Or would each OS need its own music folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I don't know as I have not tried it nor can I because I don't have an intel mac, but if you put a third partition on the drive and format it in FAT22 (a format that both mac and windows can see and write to) put all your music on that partition, I think you should be able to listen to your music regardless on what operating system you are running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Yeah I've been wondering about this as well. I have a few seasons of Lost and 24 from the iTMS as well as my music collection; it'd be nice to put it on my 2.5" backup drive for access from both systems. When my new hard drive comes in I'll give it a try!

Reaction score
Blacksburg, VA - home of System X, making your pow
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 DA 466 MHz
Yeah using a fat32 shared data partition is what I do for windows and linux on my pc and it works great. The only issue with a mac with os x and windows is since the traditional bios and open firmware use different methods for partitioning hard disks, when you "combine the two" (i.e. the function of boot camp) you encounter some pretty strict limitations as to how many partitions you can have. I'm pretty sure you can have up to three though, so you should be good. This is one of the issues regarding tripple booting on these macs; you can't have enough partitions for a separate linux swap partiton, you have to use a swap file on the main partition instead. Blame windows, of course, for still using the relatively outdated bios.

Reaction score
From OS X it is easy. It can read the NTFS partition which is all it needs to do. From XP it is much harder. There is software that will allow it. I do agree the best way is a FAT32 partition to share between them.

Reaction score
Blacksburg, VA - home of System X, making your pow
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 DA 466 MHz
Would TransMac help? I use it to burn .img's on my pc (no burner on my mac). It is a program which reads mac volumes from windows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.