• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Intel's Multiple Core Future

Reaction score
I must have missed the forum courtesy thread. I didn't realize posting a link is not an acceptable form of post, also creating one thread for one link isn't really that cool. Therefore I need help from graphite to make this a valuable piece of information.

Chicago (IL) and Westlake Village (CA) - Five years ago, Intel envisioned processors running at 20 GHz by the end of this decade. Today we know that the future will look different. CPUs will sacrifice clock speed over core count: Intel's first "many core" CPU, will run at only two thirds of the clock speed of today's fastest Xeon CPU - but achieve 15x the performance, thanks to 32 cores.

and now, you may:
----end edit----

Read on here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Great post! however I think its really hard to predict the future of processors, take a look at IBM and the "64bit to 3ghz by summer!"

Reaction score
Interesting article.

I guess in the end computers will get to the point that no more processor power is needed and only really intensive scientific computers will continue to increase in power. I'm waiting for a laptop that has a battery that can be recharged by windup technology myself. Maybe I should start working that one myself, the wait maybe too long.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
also, what about the fundamental issue? size....once you get down to the atoms, you can't go any further.

that's why i believe in bio-computers. brains in jars baby!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
wow I just found this this morning and was reading it, when I though, "hey i will post this on the forums" but it was already here and I decided not to double post. Now I am here deciding to comment on the fact that it is a good story and that 32 cores is insane.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Interesting article. I like the fact that everyones seems to be going away from "Speed is everything" and moving to the multi-core philosophy. I think this is the area that will really allow for advancements in technology, science, medicine and so on. I think this is the key that will open the door to a lot of new and exciting stuff for both the tech industry and individuals.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
ShillAT said:
also, what about the fundamental issue? size....once you get down to the atoms, you can't go any further.

that's why i believe in bio-computers. brains in jars baby!

exactly, but i am thinking something more like the jump from vacuums tubes to computer chips

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.