text edit

Reaction score
Can I view word docs using text edit? If so then how do i get it to do that by default? Right now on my new Imac it opens the test drive version of MSword but i dont think i will be buying that program but i will still need to view word docs. I tried searching for this in the search but didn't find what i was looking for. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You can view .doc files with TextEdit, though you will lose some of the special formatting features that Word offers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
yes, text edit will open .doc files. to get it to do so by default, simply right click (ctrl+ click) on a .doc file and select Get Info. Under where it says 'Open With:' select text edit from the drop down menu, then select 'Change All'

Reaction score
Blacksburg, VA - home of System X, making your pow
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 DA 466 MHz
Perhaps Open Office would be useful for you if you're looking for better compatibility, but without paying eleventy-billion dollars for Microsoft Word.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini Mac Intel Core Dou, 2 Gigs RAM, 100 GB hard drive.
My friends use TextWrangler. Looks ugly; works great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
You might also look up Abiword.app. This is the native Mac OS X port of the open source Abiword program. Abiword is an excellent replacement for MS-Word, and reads and *writes* .doc format. I have used it more than once to repair corrupted MS-Word files where MS-Word itself wouldn't open them.

Abiword is open source freeware. You can get the Mac OS X version at www.abisource.com.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.