A switcher's guide to OS X Software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2GB Ram/60GB HDD/ Western Digital 500GB External HDD/ Superdrive DVDRW/
this is really nice of u guys...thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2.0 GHz, 1GB RAM, 100GB HDD, AirBase Express =)
Thanks! Great info.

Reaction score
Thanks for this guide. It has been very helpful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac, 2.16GHz, 2GB Ram, 500GB Serial ATA, 256MB Video Ram
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'm still trying to get used to Mac and this helps out.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
recent switcher here...

maybe it would be helpful to have some info like that here on this forum?
i know that was one of the toughest things to figure out when i switched...
how do i replace x?
how to i get the same functionality out of y that i got out of z?

i mean i'm sure a lot of it you could find by doing clever searches, but it would be pretty handy to have all that info in one place (like the linked sites). but if it had a sort of a this = that format with a quick summary that compares contrasts the software, that would rock...

i know i needed to find replacements for programs like:
windows media player with encoder and dvd plug-in (itunes didn't cut it)
Easy CD Creator
forte agent
ACDSee
WinRAR

it took me some time to find replacements (unison, audion, stuffit and 'split and concat'), and i still havent found a real good replacement for ACDSee, just a few fair to middling pretenders - including iphoto.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Because of the huge variety of software out there, a "this=that" list would be unmanageable. The best thing is to start with those sites above and for anything else start search at http://www.macupdate.com to see what you can find.

As you mentioned a search of the forums will often turn up what you're looking for as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, MacBook Pro
ACDSee Replacement

it took me some time to find replacements (unison, audion, stuffit and 'split and concat'), and i still havent found a real good replacement for ACDSee, just a few fair to middling pretenders - including iphoto.

Don't suppose you've gotten lucky in the past month? Just posted to another thread here about my problems finding an ACDSee replacement, specifically the ability to view images within ZIP files without having to manually unzip them. Can't believe that there doesn't seem to be a single Mac image viewer out there that supports this.

Reaction score
Great topic on my first read in this forumn. Ordered my first Mac the other day and I'm preparing for the switch. These links to articles are fantastic and answered a lot of questions I have at this point (like Anti-Virus, Firewall, etc). Now onto configuring my network (stlll have 2 PC's in the house on wireless network) before the Mac arrives....

M

MacHeadCase

Intel-based Macs: Starting up into Apple Hardware Test

Hah! Little did I know but while looking up something on Apple's Support website I came across a page that describes how to start up into the Hardware Test. And, no, the key combo isn't the same as for PowerPC Mac users!

For all new Intel-based Mac users, the startup key is D not C.

Here's what to do... Intel-based Macs: Starting up into Apple Hardware Test.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Heh, I read this thread for the first time and found the awesome (and free) Sizzlingkeys thanks to it. I'm really glad this iTunes companion exists!

Don't suppose you've gotten lucky in the past month? Just posted to another thread here about my problems finding an ACDSee replacement, specifically the ability to view images within ZIP files without having to manually unzip them. Can't believe that there doesn't seem to be a single Mac image viewer out there that supports this.
Well, it's not meant to be an image viewer exactly since it's designed as a comic book reading program, but FFView lets you view images from within zip and rar files without actually opening them up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.