can we bring back the FAQ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
when i hit the trusty 'get new' button t oday i think i saw about 8 posts by different users about
"how much ram do i need"
"max ram for macbook"
"max ram for FCP"

"this thread has been covered multiple times today but i am going to ask about RAM anyway"

i know not everyone used it and people are still going to ask but we can still do what we did with the search function to people. with enough support and telling people about it and putting it in our sigs etc it might start off this time.

just my .02
-chris

ps. ill be willing to write the RAM FAQ right now if you guys say yes

People Who Will Write FAQ's
Coach_z
PowerbookG4
(insert your name here)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
It can be considered, however, until we get enough users willing to write enough FAQs and maintain them, it's not feasible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I will write a faq on any topic that is needed, just let me know what you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I agree. I for one don't really go for the whole 'sticky' thread as most people won't read them anyway, but if we at least have some point of reference for these types of inquiries, we could direct these posters there with a link as a reply. This would eliminate the need for someone to constantly write out the reply post ad naseum.
I am already starting to see the resurgence and reincarnation of the "iBook vs. PowerBook" threads... only this time they are "MacBook vs. MacBook Pro" threads.
I think a comprehensive thread on ALL aspects of RAM would be a good thing, as well as an updated "buyer's guide" if that hasn't been taken care of by r2sensen already. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
D3v1L80Y said:
I agree. I for one don't really go for the whole 'sticky' thread as most people won't read them anyway, but if we at least have some point of reference for these types of inquiries, we could direct these posters there with a link as a reply. This would eliminate the need for someone to constantly write out the reply post ad naseum.
I am already starting to see the resurgence and reincarnation of the "iBook vs. PowerBook" threads... only this time they are "MacBook vs. MacBook Pro" threads.
I think a comprehensive thread on ALL aspects of RAM would be a good thing, as well as an updated "buyer's guide" if that hasn't been taken care of by r2sensen already. :black:

I have been noticing several "Help me decide" threads as well. Perhaps something that lists the different products and suggestions for what each one would best be used for. Something to the effect of "The Mac Mini is good for light video editing and photo editing." "The iMac 20" with Intel Duo Core is best suited for heavy video editing and rendering." Something like that.

Just a suggestion :)

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
alucard said:
I have been noticing several "Help me decide" threads as well. Perhaps something that lists the different products and suggestions for what each one would best be used for. Something to the effect of "The Mac Mini is good for light video editing and photo editing." "The iMac 20" with Intel Duo Core is best suited for heavy video editing and rendering." Something like that.

a good suggestion we just need a good amount of people to commit to writing them

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My suggestion is this, if enough people come here and volunteer specific FAQs to compose then we'll re-open the "Just the FAQs" forum.

Here's how the FAQs should be setup...

Thread Title should be the FAQ title, e.g. Macbook FAQ

First post should be an introduction to the top.
Each FAQ should get it's own post in that thread (that way you can point to a specific post if it answers the question.
The Post Title should be that individual FAQ title, e.g. "Is it better to turn off my mac or put it to sleep?"

So, if you want to volunteer to write a FAQ, do so here and state which one(s) you're willing to work on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
alucard said:

That is exactly what r2sensen's guide is, albeit hosted on his own site. The thread is still there along with a link to his site. Hehe, I guess we should just check to see if he has updated it recently. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
I'd be willing to write a couple of FAQ's involving older apple software, and what to do when your beige mac doesn't turn on...

I am good with older apple hardware, so I could also help with those if anyone wants any...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I'll cover the G4 Cube, MacBook, MacBook Pro, G4 Mini, and Intel Mini upgrade guides :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I will begin work on updating and revising the Buyer's Guide immediately. I know it's gotten rather out of date, but it's something that I might as well work on. Since I haven't had the time to be an active poster in the past few months, it can be my way of giving back. I would love to have help, though. I go into periods where I am extremely busy, and the guide is guaranteed to get out of date again. Anyone with suggestions, anyone who would like to write FAQ that can be related and interconnected with the buyer's guide, etc.

Yes, I chose to post the guide on my own site. I did this for the main reason that anything posted on Mac-Forums becomes the property of Mac-Forums, and at the time, I had received some requests to use the guide for certain publications. I think I will continue to host the guide on my own site, because there is far more potential to create interactivity on a website, rather than through the forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Thats best rs2, and also ... irc it up.

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
excelent!!!!!

topics that appear to need coverage (person who will be doing it)
*ram
*dvd copying (coach_z)
*differences between macbook and powerbook
*older apple software (macEfan)
*upgrades (kaidomac)

im tired so we need more topics but these are just a few
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I would like to extend the guide to include all of Apple's main products. So far I have:

Portables
iBook G4
Powerbook G4
Macbook
Macbook Pro

Desktops
eMac G4
Mac Mini G4
iMac G5
Powermac G5

Other Products
Airport
iSight
Mighty Mouse
iPod
Xserve G5
Xserve RAID
Apple Displays

Can anyone think of any products I'm missing that should be mentioned? The main goal would be to make this guide as comprehensive as possible. If I can get everything covered well, I'm also considering a Widget form of the guide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
coach_z said:
excelent!!!!!

topics that appear to need coverage (person who will be doing it)
*ram
*dvd copying (coach_z)
*differences between macbook and powerbook
*older apple software (macEfan)
*upgrades (kaidomac)

im tired so we need more topics but these are just a few
-chris

Excellent stuff Coach Z! I think I can cover the "differences between macbook and powerbook" in the buyers guide relatively easily. Everything else you mentioned is also excellent and I look forward to reading what people put together!

I would also like to see some FAQ guides to other software. Perhaps we talk about what each program in iLife does. I would love to see guides comparing the major video editing software. Other forms of media have a lot of potential too! (web, print, etc.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now remember, we need to group the FAQs in threads logically or we're going to have 2000 FAQ threads.

So for example "differences between MacBook and Powerbook" would go as a post in both the "Macbook FAQ" and "Powerbook FAQ".

The first step is to define the top level FAQs that we should start out with.

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
schweb what i was getting at was the threads like "should i buy the macbook or macbookpro" thread but i think the mac buyer's guide will cover it quite well
-chris

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
new topics needed to cover:
Installing programs
Un-Installing programs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
something dealing with Maintenance would be nice too! (running Chron scripts, file permissions, etc.) It would be nice to have both terminal commands, as well as software ideas, such as my favorite, YASU, or Cocktail.

Also...networking guide specific to mac. I had a lot of trouble with this when I first got my mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.