maintenance for iMacs

T

thomas89

I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum.
I have recently purchased an iMac switching from a windows PC. I am used to cleaning and defraging my hard drive on my pc, is there any maintenance I should be doing on my iMac?

Thanks for the assistance.

OP
C

cb.studios

Welcome !!

I am also a switcher (2001) since then everyday becomes a little better with mac. To answer your question, yes there are some tasks required by us users but very little. I don’t have the link that Id like to give you but Ill try to point you in the right direction for your search. Try looking at Apples site for "Regular scheduled maintenance" or something of the like. What I can reassure you with is that your long hours of defragging days are over. In the past 5 years I actually never had to do any maintenance to my Ti powerbook!!! Not even .001% (luckily) and I push my Ti to the limit when I record 20 tracks of audio for my studio. Not to say it’s flawless, I have heard of some issues, but they are always quickly resolved thru apple.com especially with applecare. So that’s what you’re about to experience with both mine and your new imac as well.

We all should be promoting for the switch. That way we can have fewer issues in the near future.

Again welcome and enjoy using your mac (PC ?) Spread the word. :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
There are Unix Cron Scripts that you can run for OSX. If you you know UNIX, you can run them from the command line. If not you can use an App like Cocktail (not free) and it will do them for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
baggss said:
There are Unix Cron Scripts that you can run for OSX. If you you know UNIX, you can run them from the command line. If not you can use an App like Cocktail (not free) and it will do them for you.
Or, you could just leave your iMac on 24/7 (NOT sleep) and Mac OS will run them on its own.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107388
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106978
Apple said:
It is scheduled to occur early in the morning at 03:15 everyday, 04:30 on Saturdays, and 05:30 on the first day of each month.
:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.