Parallels?

Reaction score
do you need to install parrallels before installing windows xp? because i inserted my Windows pro disc and it isn't installing. maybe i am doing something wrong. this is my first day using a Mac..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Yes. Follow these basic steps:

1. Install Parallels
2. Create a new virtual machine (Parallels has a wizard)
3. Install XP to the virtual machine
4. Install Parallel's Tools to XP

Consult the Parallels manual for details.

OP
E
Reaction score
is there anyway you could tell me how to install xp to the virtual machine. i created one. but like i said this is my first time using a Mac. it's so much diff than Windows. im so lost

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.16 GHZ C2D 120 MB HD Mac Mini Duo 2 GB ram
kaidomac hit the nail on the head.. once you install Parallels create the virtual machine using the wizard(step 2) you can "start" the VM by selecting the green play button, where you will be greeted with your black screen (as if you are booting a DOS command prompt). Insert your Windows disc and the autoboot install should automatically begin, follow the usual prompts for installing a copy of windows. You can use the Quick Format when you are prompted to format the "drive". It actually installs a little faster than a normal PC too. LMK if it helps!!

OP
E
Reaction score
Game2954 said:
kaidomac hit the nail on the head.. once you install Parallels create the virtual machine using the wizard(step 2) you can "start" the VM by selecting the green play button, where you will be greeted with your black screen (as if you are booting a DOS command prompt). Insert your Windows disc and the autoboot install should automatically begin, follow the usual prompts for installing a copy of windows. You can use the Quick Format when you are prompted to format the "drive". It actually installs a little faster than a normal PC too. LMK if it helps!!
thanks. it helped and is installing now. also. do you know how to double click with a mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
eddboi said:
thanks. it helped and is installing now. also. do you know how to double click with a mac?

Assuming you're using a MacBook, just click the touchpad button twice. The touchpad/mouse in Parallels acts the same as it does in OS X. I have my MacBook setup to click when I tap the touchpad, double-click when I tap the touchpad twice, and right-click when I tap the touchpad with two fingers. Very handy for XP under Parallels.

OP
E
Reaction score
kaidomac said:
Assuming you're using a MacBook, just click the touchpad button twice. The touchpad/mouse in Parallels acts the same as it does in OS X. I have my MacBook setup to click when I tap the touchpad, double-click when I tap the touchpad twice, and right-click when I tap the touchpad with two fingers. Very handy for XP under Parallels.
that's how i want mine setup. can you tell me how you did that?

OP
E
Reaction score
sorry, i said double click. i meant right click. and do you know how i switch to XP by just hitting some button like it's showed on the youtube vids?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
eddboi said:
that's how i want mine setup. can you tell me how you did that?

In OS X, go to "System Preferences" in either your dock at the bottom or in your Applications folder. Then, go to "Keyboard & Mouse" and select the "Mouse" tab. You'll find many customizable options from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
eddboi said:
sorry, i said double click. i meant right click. and do you know how i switch to XP by just hitting some button like it's showed on the youtube vids?

Yup, there's a "fullscreen" button on the menu that wraps around the XP window in Parallels. You can customize the effects in the Preferences menu (you can do a cube spin, twirl, and so on). It's pretty slick, I have mine do a screen warp-spin, people are like "ooooh" when I show them lol.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.