• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Video Capture with Formac

M

mahrpsgt

I am considering buying the Formac Studio dv/tv for video capture to convert my existing VHS tapes to VCD. Does anyone have experience with this product? I'm trying to find a product that actually works well (I've had bad luck with Dazzle), and I'm also considering the dv/tv as a digital recording device like TiVO, if I'm understanding this product correctly.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
I have used a Dazzle as well. They are not that good. You get dumped frames, the sync is terrible, and the conversion itself is not very good.

I have not used anything else, but I hear the Canopus stuff is great. At one point I was gonna purchase the ADVC-100 but I didn't have the funs to cover it. There stuff is expensive, but for the consumer products, they are supposed to be the best. They have a technology called audio lock which supposedly protects against audio/video sync issues.

Hope this helps. Sorry I don't have more info.

EDIT: There is also an internal version of that called the ADVC-1394.

They have some really cool stuff. The Raptor board looks fabulous, but it is a Windows based product. So the Apple people are stuff with either ther ADV-1394 or the external unit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.