Interent Explorer or something like it?

M

m0bster

I hate to have to do this, but I need to put Internet Explorer on my iBook to take a training class...I see that you cant get IE from Microcrap anymore. Is there another browser that is built on the same platform as IE that I could use? Like Shiira is built on the Safari platform...please help me if you know of one...I think I would rather cut off my right hand than use a PC, so I need to get something for my iBook.

Reaction score
m0bster said:
I hate to have to do this, but I need to put Internet Explorer on my iBook to take a training class...I see that you cant get IE from Microcrap anymore. Is there another browser that is built on the same platform as IE that I could use? Like Shiira is built on the Safari platform...please help me if you know of one...I think I would rather cut off my right hand than use a PC, so I need to get something for my iBook.

its your lucky day! go here
http://web.nickshanks.com/downloads/ie/InternetExplorer523.dmg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
You can also try to fake it by enabling the Safari debug menu (Google "enable safari debug menu" for directions) and using it to set the "user agent" to IE.

This may or may not help. Sometimes a site really does require an IE-only feature, and can't be faked out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
If you need a more recent version of IE, or the official Windows version (there are differences between the mac and windows versions, bizarrely), and you don't mind getting your hands dirty, you could try using Wine and the Windows IE 6 installer. Darwine is (I think) the most 'supported' one, and looks like it even works on PPC macs using the QEMU virtualisation.

Of course, with so many layers of emulation it might just roll over and die ...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have had good luck with Camino with Camitools installed in Camino. Then in the camitools tab in Caminos preferences, select IE and I have gotten to sites that Safari nor Opera nor Firefox would go to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
technologist said:
You can also try to fake it by enabling the Safari debug menu (Google "enable safari debug menu" for directions) and using it to set the "user agent" to IE.

Or just download Safari Enhancer.

Reaction score
m0bster said:

Try using FireFox...it works with some sites that Safari does not. If that doesn't work, Parallels Workstation for $49 will let you install Windows XP or other MS Operating systems on the Mac, run it in a window and you can then run Explorer as well as most other windows applications.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.