Have I erased all I think I have?...

P

philbl

Hi,

Another quick problem for all you clever folk...

I've been using an external hard drive for all my itunes music but it was formatted with a FAT32 file structure that I didn't want (I've been using the external drive with a PC). So what I did was, copied all my itunes music onto my Mac desktop, formatted the external drive with a Mac OS journaled structure and recopied all my itunes music back onto the external drive...

It's all worked fine but having dropped all the now unwanted music files that were on my desktop into the trash and deleted them it seems that I haven't freed up the 20gb of drive space that I used.

Can somone help me out here? Have I reallly deleted those files or do I have to do something else to recover all that disk space...

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
philbl said:
...having dropped all the now unwanted music files that were on my desktop into the trash and deleted them it seems that I haven't freed up the 20gb of drive space that I used.

Can somone help me out here? Have I reallly deleted those files or do I have to do something else to recover all that disk space...Phil

Just to clarify....you moved 20gb unwanted files to trash? You then emptied the trash? And your HD still shows that 20gb used although the files appear to be gone?

OP
P

philbl

Yep..

asolo said:
Just to clarify....you moved 20gb unwanted files to trash? You then emptied the trash? And your HD still shows that 20gb used although the files appear to be gone?

Spot on...Why?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Trash Can is for sure empty? That makes no sense. Open the Trash Can and be sure it's empty. If it is, let us know.

OP
P

philbl

Yes mate

dtravis7 said:
The Trash Can is for sure empty? That makes no sense. Open the Trash Can and be sure it's empty. If it is, let us know.

Yep, it's empty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
Where are you getting your disk free space information from? If it is from the HD icon on your desktop, that does not update immediately. Right click the HD icon > Get Info and see if it shows a different amount for disk free space.

OP
P

philbl

It all says the same...

Erudite.Warrior said:
Where are you getting your disk free space information from? If it is from the HD icon on your desktop, that does not update immediately. Right click the HD icon > Get Info and see if it shows a different amount for disk free space.

Thanks for taking the time but wherever I get the info from it all says the same thing. I'm a confused Englishman!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.