• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Should I go all-Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Okay, so here's the long story short... G4 Powerbook took a spill and the housing is fubar'd, but still fully operational... Now, as far as my Wintel PC goes, I just put $400 of upgrades into it recently...

This is my setup right now:

21" widescreen LG Flatron for TV/Main display running the Xbox 360 in high-def.
Audio out from the 360 running into my high-performance Wintel machine for 5.1 surround sound - the 360 and the Wintel machine work hand-in-hand for Windows Media Center (which works like crap, since most of my media are AVI files, and in order for me to use the Windows MCE remote to control the volume, I have to have the USB ir sensor plugged in, so it conflicts with the 360 picking up the ir signal, as well as my PC. It works fine without the USB ir receiver, but I can't control the volume [that's the main reason I have it plugged in])

If I sell my high-end gaming PC, I lose my 5.1 capabilities (using Logitech X-530 speakers)

After all that stuff, I have my original Xbox plugged into my 13" CRT tv, as a separate "station" to do system links between both of my Xbox's over the network.

The only REAL reason I have windows still, is for gaming. And now that it's working perfectly and there are no problems. I game more on my Xbox's compared to my PC, so I feel liek I've just wasted $2000 on it.

My dilemma is whether or not I should sell my Wintel PC and buy a really nice MacBook/Pro, and keep my Xbox/Xbox 360 for gaming on my 21" high-def widescreen monitor till I get a new TV to hook both Xbox's in for media/gaming... Since Windows Media Center doesn't like *.avi files, most of my media on my server is useless for MCE, but Xbox Media Center on my original Xbox plays them all fine.

The only thing that I honestly use my Wintel PC for is an audio-hub for the 5.1 surround sound for my Xbox 360. My gf uses it more than I do and she doesn't even game.

So the question in the end is, should I sell my high-end gaming PC to buy a MacBook/MacBook Pro, and give my gf teh 667 DVI Powerbook, and use some sort of home stereo system for the surround sound on my Xbox/Xbox360, or just keep it the way it is?

2000blasterboy

I still have my gaming PC, but i kind of drifted away from that once i got my motorcycle (keeps me out of the house lol), so now i use my ibook (browse internet, etc...), and my gaming PC just sits lol, its up to you if you keep it or not. I have always found it easier and cheaper to keep the gaming on the pc, and the work on the mac. If you feel you dont play the pc games as much, sell it and put it into a nice new mac and maybe a few things for your xbox so you can still enjoy gaming. Thats my .02. Dont forget if you get a nice new mac you can still play your games, maybe not to the extent as before but hey still fun lol.
Ben

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.