Help!!

Reaction score
Need a little help, I need to move data from one Windows 2003 server to another (quark files, etc). After I transfer the data all my mac users can no longer open any of the quark files, seems the extension's get all messed up and looks like a unix file instead of a quark file. Anyone have the answer?

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I'm going to guess that you are (or were) running Services for Macintosh on the original server?

What seems to have happened is that the type and creator codes for those Quark files got lost in the move. (The type/creator codes are used to associate files with applications on the Macintosh, in the same way that extensions are on PCs.) Windows Server will keep track of these only while they are stored on a "Macintosh-accessible volume" directory on a server running SFM. If you burn files to CD, or move them to another directory on the Windows server, the type/creator codes are stripped out. Likewise, if you transfer them using FTP or Windows' native file sharing, the type/creator codes won't survive the trip.

You can associate a Windows type/creator code to a file on the server by following this procedure, but you'll need to know the codes for each file type. (For Quark they are Type: XDOC and Creator: XPR3)

OP
S
Reaction score
Link not working.....

technologist said:
I'm going to guess that you are (or were) running Services for Macintosh on the original server?

What seems to have happened is that the type and creator codes for those Quark files got lost in the move. (The type/creator codes are used to associate files with applications on the Macintosh, in the same way that extensions are on PCs.) Windows Server will keep track of these only while they are stored on a "Macintosh-accessible volume" directory on a server running SFM. If you burn files to CD, or move them to another directory on the Windows server, the type/creator codes are stripped out. Likewise, if you transfer them using FTP or Windows' native file sharing, the type/creator codes won't survive the trip.

You can associate a Windows type/creator code to a file on the server by following this procedure, but you'll need to know the codes for each file type. (For Quark they are Type: XDOC and Creator: XPR3)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.