• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

coverting avi files

Reaction score
After days of searching for a mac compatible software to convert my avi files to dvd readable files, I am still at a loss. I am currently trying to use ffmpegX. While reading various forums, I read that mgeg2 was the format I needed to convert my avi file into if I wanted a dvd player to play the movie.
ffmpegX doesn't seem to save the avi files once they are converted to mpeg2. When I try other formats they seem to save fine. Is there an issue with ffmpegX? Is there another conversion option out there that my dvd player will read besides the DVD mpeg2enc version that I have tried so far. I can't afford to purchase an expensive program to convert my files.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

OP
S
Reaction score
still try to burn converted avi with ffmpegX

i was finally successful in converting the avi file to DVD ffmpeg and have the DVD folder containing the video_TS and audio_TS folders. I found the following instructions:
- where it says source format, drop your avi file there
- where it says target format, choose either DVD mpeg2enc, or DVD ffmpeg, mpeg2enc takes longer but quality is better(from my experience).
-under the options tab select author as DVD & encode with quicktime.
- then press encode... your result will be and .DVD folder that contains 2 folders, AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS
- in ffmpegX yu can select the tools tab and select the img tab
- select browse find your .dvd folder select go
- in disk utility drag that .img file to the let side and select burn

Burning the .img file didn't work right. It only burned about 1 minute of the movie. When I drag the Audio_TS and Video_TS files directly to the cd I get a decent burn but the sound and video are not in sink. Its like watching an old school martial arts movie where the mouth moves and the sound comes out after the fact.

Any one know how to burn the file in such as way as to avoid errors?

Reaction score
If you have Final Cut, you can simply import the .avi file into the timeline and export a .mov or whatever you prefer - this is what I do with footage I have captured via PC. The entire soundtrack has to be rendered though, so if your movie is long it can take I while. I think imovie has similar capabilities.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.