books

Reaction score
I will be getting my new imac on thursday and I have to be honest, i haven't really used a mac since the oldschool days. So my question is: is there a good book out there for learning the OSX and tiger? I know there are a ton of books out there, but which ones are worth the buy? any advice would be great!

Reaction score
I'm interested in this as well (my Mac is coming Wednesday :p ) I'd prefer some Internet tutorials though, but whatever works :)

Reaction score
You don't need a book, just click around and figure things out. If you have trouble figuring out something specific, use google.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2Ghz Intel Core Duo, 2Gb, 250Gb, 10.5.2
LaurenSmitty said:
I will be getting my new imac on thursday and I have to be honest, i haven't really used a mac since the oldschool days. So my question is: is there a good book out there for learning the OSX and tiger? I know there are a ton of books out there, but which ones are worth the buy? any advice would be great!

I've got two books that I can recommend.

First, http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/macxtigermm/
"Mac OS X: The Missing Manual, Tiger Ed."
This is a fairly detailed book on OSX. Very lengthy; 864 pages. This is the second book I purchased on Tiger. I find myself referring to this book more than any others I've purchased. Great for reference.

Second, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...9727932?v=glance&n=283155?tag=macforums0e4-20
"The MAC OS X Tiger Book" by Andy Ihnatko. This is the first book I read on OSX. I think this book makes a great introduction to the world of Mac. It is highly entertaining and shows the author's enthusiasm for Mac.

These are the only two I can really recommend at the moment. I've read a few others, but have not been too impressed.

Welcome back, and good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
for me, the best way to learn is just playing around. it's useful to have a reference (the book), but if you figure it out yourself, you'll remember it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
As mentioned before the best way to learn OSX is to just play around with it and ask your questions here.

I'm gonna second the Mac OS X: The Missing Manual Tiger Ed.
Great book and easy to read.
Enjoy your new Mac......when it gets here of course :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Also please use the search function here, I guarantee you'll find lots of good advice as this has come up multiple times...

Reaction score
I agree that playing around with something is a good way to learn but at the same time I like using a book to help speed up my learning. I taught myself Photoshop by just fiddling with stuff but then I found some tutorials and I learned a lot of simple, yet very useful, little tricks and tips.

I think I'll start with "The MAC OS X Tiger Book" , I'm gonna go buy it today and read up so I'll be ready when my iMac comes tomorrow :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook
The Mac os x : Missing Manual book is amazing. My boyfriend got it when me and him both bought mac books (he got black i got white) How cute right? LOL... but anywho it is very useful book even to have as a reference ...

good Luck... oh yeah this site has also been a savior! the search future is amazing!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
mynameis said:
You don't need a book, just click around and figure things out. If you have trouble figuring out something specific, use google.

While I would personally agree with you, not everyone is comfortable doing that. Some people need/like a guide.

Reaction score
baggss said:
While I would personally agree with you, not everyone is comfortable doing that. Some people need/like a guide.

The reason I like having a guide is because it kind of forces me to learn things that I normally wouldn't be searching for, but at the same time is good to know. I always find myself discovering something new and thinking "man, I wish I would have known that like 6 months ago!" I'm sure I'll still have those moments with the Mac OS, but having a book will hopefully reduce those occurences :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch Intel iMac 2 gig ram :)
As a OSX newbie I'd solidly vote for the The Mac os x : Missing Manual book-- I also enjoy playing around but that book makes playing aroound all that much more simple and the learning curve is shortened. It's well illustrated and easy to read as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0
Jeez, and here i thought it was a topic about me. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.