Right click with the trackpad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook G4 12in 1gig RAM + 24in Imac 2.16 2.5 gig RAM Leopard
I recently visited the Apple store in manhatten and was playing around with the new macbooks. in their prefences you can make that if you hold 2 fingers on the trackpad than click it registers as a right click. that feature doesnt seem availible on my ibook is ther eany way to do that via program or hack etc.
Thanks

M

mrfu

That's awkward because it works on my PB. In fact I don't even have to click both fingers. Just on one side is good enough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook - 15" (last ppc), iMac 20" w/ intel, iPod 5G
mrfu said:
That's awkward because it works on my PB. In fact I don't even have to click both fingers. Just on one side is good enough.

i got my powerbook in november 2005, and i can't do the two-finger right click. how do you do it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
mrfu said:

solarith said:
i got my powerbook in november 2005, and i can't do the two-finger right click. how do you do it?

I would like to know as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Post #3 in this thread has your answer.

P

PFerrara

In the System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse page, on the Trackpad page, there's a tick box for the option "Place two fingers on trackpad and click button for secondary click." Enabling this allows you do as you described, placing two fingers on the track pad and then clicking will display the secondary menu (or "Right Click" menu)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'08 Mac Pro, 10GB RAM, Mercury SSD, 3x WD HDDs, Radeon 5770
I'd actually like to know how to enable this feature as well, I have the latest revision Powerbook and the option does not appear in my preferences and iscroll can't be installed, I'm confused b/c if I understand correctly the option should be there since it is a 2005 PB with the new USB trackpad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Vagrant said:
I'd actually like to know how to enable this feature as well, I have the latest revision Powerbook and the option does not appear in my preferences and iscroll can't be installed, I'm confused b/c if I understand correctly the option should be there since it is a 2005 PB with the new USB trackpad

Exactly the same for me. I have a 15" 1.67ppc powerbook purchased in November of 2005. The right-click option does not appear in system preferences, and I cannot install iscroll due to it being for Powerbooks before 2005.

1a2d4b27.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I just wanted to chime in and say how much I like the MacBook's touchpad. Personally, I HATE touchpads with a passion. I always carry a mouse around with my laptop for that reason. However, the touchpad on the MacBook has really been growing on me. I absolutely love the two-finger scroll feature. One finger moves the mouse, one finger click selects things, one finger double-click opens things, one finger double-click lets me drag files around, two fingers lets me scroll, and a two finger click lets me right-click. I don't even use the touchpad's button anymore. Those features along with the nice large size of the touchpad has made me ditch my mouse for on-the-go usage. Props to Apple for creating the first touchpad I've ever actually liked :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb
My answer to all your problems would be to buy a trackball mouse, they are very cheap at prices of around £12.99 on ebuyer (which I have to say is a fantastic site for UK people!). I'm also pretty sure they are really cheap in the US on places newegg.

Then of course there is the option to just buy a normal usb mouse/bluetooth mouse with right click!

2000blasterboy

i almost never need the right click, but if i do i just hit ctrl and click....
Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
makwanad said:
My answer to all your problems would be to buy a trackball mouse, they are very cheap at prices of around £12.99 on ebuyer (which I have to say is a fantastic site for UK people!). I'm also pretty sure they are really cheap in the US on places newegg.

Then of course there is the option to just buy a normal usb mouse/bluetooth mouse with right click!

i already have a mouse. if i wanted to carry around a mouse, i wouldn't ask how to two-finger right-click with the track pad, now would i?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2000blasterboy said:
i almost never need the right click, but if i do i just hit ctrl and click....
Ben

yes, we all know how to ctrl-click for right-click. that wasn't what me and the above posters were asking.

maybe i'll start adding my own random common sense replies for the heck of it..

"hey guys! sometimes i put my laptop to sleep using the sleep option! wee!"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
kaidomac said:
I just wanted to chime in and say how much I like the MacBook's touchpad. Personally, I HATE touchpads with a passion. I always carry a mouse around with my laptop for that reason. However, the touchpad on the MacBook has really been growing on me. I absolutely love the two-finger scroll feature. One finger moves the mouse, one finger click selects things, one finger double-click opens things, one finger double-click lets me drag files around, two fingers lets me scroll, and a two finger click lets me right-click. I don't even use the touchpad's button anymore. Those features along with the nice large size of the touchpad has made me ditch my mouse for on-the-go usage. Props to Apple for creating the first touchpad I've ever actually liked :)

once again.. glad you like your macbook touchpad.. but i don't see how your exurberance over a macbook touchpad is in any way related to the poster's or my question. a reply like yours would be better suited to a "TELL ME IF YOU LIKE YOUR MACBOOK TOUCHPAD" topic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'08 Mac Pro, 10GB RAM, Mercury SSD, 3x WD HDDs, Radeon 5770
Yeah, I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but I have a mouse as well, though for me it isn't as convenient when on the go, and ctrl+click wouldn't be as fluid when using the trackpad as this right click option, ultimately though, I just want to know why it isn't an option in my preferences when it seems it should be

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.