How much memory?

P

pinski

Hi, Just switching from PCs to an iMac and I'm wondering whether 1gb of RAM is going to more than sufficient for my needs which are using MS office, surfing the web and using photoshop occaisionally.

I really asking with a view to the new operating system on the horizon.

Thanks for any advice

pinski

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I would go with 1GB extra.

The iMacs currently ship with 1 512MB stick of RAM in the first slot. If you buy an additional 1GB stick, you'd have a total of 1,5GB's - which is plenty for now.

If you feel you could use more RAM down the line, you can ditch the 512MB stick and stick in another Gig.

Going with 2x 512 megs now would be cheaper, but down the road you'd probably end up paying more should you ever want to upgrade to 2x 1GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook
pinski said:
Hi, Just switching from PCs to an iMac and I'm wondering whether 1gb of RAM is going to more than sufficient for my needs which are using MS office, surfing the web and using photoshop occaisionally.

I really asking with a view to the new operating system on the horizon.

Thanks for any advice

pinski

Yeah I just got a Macbook and I switched the memory to 2 gig and I noticed a tremendous difference! Specially when opening office programs while running others... it makes a big different... so definately go for it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I've been running the iMac with 512 MB RAM. Not a big problem at all. Its not thaat zippy when using multiple PPC apps like dreamweaver and photoshop together but otherwise it is more than sufficient. Will upgrade when I get some cash though...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.