New MacBook with a unknown issue.

Z

ZetecPawr

I just got a new Macbook about a week ago, it's my first mac though. One day while i was letting someone use it they said it turned off on its own. After a couple minutes I turned it back on and everything seemed okay. But tonight when starting it up it only stayed on a second or two and turned back off. I attempted to restart it a couple times then got frustrated and went to the apple site to trouble shoot. It finally turned back on for good after holding down the ctrl button command button and power button for 3 seconds but being a new Mac owner I would really like to know what caused this and how I could prevent it from happening again. Thanks.

OP
Z

ZetecPawr

I just tried turning it off and back on again. And the same issues occurs and have to hit ctrl, command and the power button to actually get the thing running. The issue also occurs when I put it to sleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
First suggestion is to take it in to the apple store. Sounds like something is wrong with ACPI (the bit that puts it to sleep and wakes it up again).

OP
Z

ZetecPawr

Yeah Apple told me to take it to a Apple store (closest one being 80 miles away) or a compusa who said they would just ship it somewhere to be repaired which would take 7-14 days and i'm moving pretty soon 700 miles away so I guess I have a trip to Cincinnati tommorow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Ah, that's quite a trek. I'm wondering if it's a hardware or software issue. If it's software, a reinstall could fix it - could be a bad disk image.

OP
Z

ZetecPawr

Yep re-installed everything and sure enough it died once i tried starting it up. It suck I could have gotten the **** thing replaced if the issue had occured a day before and I got it mailed out. Heading to Cinci now to see what the Apple store can do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
make sure to call up the store and maybe they can help troubleshoot some things before you drive almost 2 hours to get there. im sure they will be sympathetic if you tell them you dont want to drive 2 hours just to be sent home or to be told the same thing that compUSA told y ou or that apple telephone people tell you
-chris

OP
P

PFerrara

Was this occuring when you were running off the AC adaptor? Or just off battery power?

I was experienceing similar symptoms to yours (randomly shutting off, etc.), and it turned out that my battery was bad. If this is happening only on battery power, you may have the same problem. Call up Apple Support and they can help you troubleshoot the issue, and its much easier than driving to the store.

OP
B

buffme4evr

Same thing is happening to me right now! I plan on taking it to the repair shop Wednesday. It only shuts off during battery power, but I haven't used it much on the adapter. When I try to power it up immediately afterwards I hear the har disk starting up but then it almost immediately shuts down.

OP
Z

ZetecPawr

Yeah it does it hooked up to the AC. I did drive up there and with me custom ordering it they coulden't fix it in the store so they sent it off to be repaired like i could have done from home. This was the first time the guys at the genius bar had seen this happen. Hopefully they'll get it fixed for good. I really don't want to go through this again especially long down the road when the warranty is up.

OP
B

buffme4evr

Took it in. The guy thinks it's the logic board. Apparently this is common.

OP
Z

ZetecPawr

Yeah that's what the guy put down as the components he beleive failed. I looked at my repair status and it's just sitting waiting for a part to come in.

zal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BackMac Book 2Ghz Duo-Core, iMac G3(running Os X)
i know this off topic, but are you a Ford Focus owner Zetec?

zal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BackMac Book 2Ghz Duo-Core, iMac G3(running Os X)
knew it, luckly, i've only got an LX sedan with the SOHC SPI

OP
Z

ZetecPawr

You get better MPG at least. Actually i'm selling it soon for a used 05+ Mustang Gt to twin turbocharge

OP
Z

ZetecPawr

So Apple has had my Macbook since the 5th and it took them until the 14th to aquire whatever part they were looking for and now they can finally repair it I suppose. I'm really getting banana off. The tech support people are really nice but I'm pretty sure it's just their cover for being usless idiots. If this is such a common issue why would it take them so long to aquire a part? This is just nuts. I've really regret buying that thing and wish I had just stuck with Alienware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
well it might not just be sitting there waiting for a part, I mean, yes it is waiting for a part but they might be testing it also. Since this sounds like a pretty new unknown error they might have run a bunch of tests to see what is going on with it, so if something else comes in theyll know what to do. My computer was in for repair 5 times in a month and half, I had it for maybe 4 days out of 35 so I know how you feel. Hopefully everything works out and you dont need to send it to repair again.

OP
Z

ZetecPawr

I just got it back today and I guess all they did was swap my hard drive into a new computer from what i read on the service details. SO hopefully this will be the end to the MacBook issues.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.