• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Camcorder info?

J

JimmyHat

With a baby on the way, my wife and I are looking into buying a camcorder. Something digital, so that she can transfer the video to her iBook G4 and (maybe) edit it.

I've been looking around the web, but haven't found any clear and easy to understand website with good info about camcorders.

Where do you get your info? I've seen the PCWorld camcorder stuff, camcorderinfo.com, etc. but it all seems too generic so far. Of course, I'm completely new to all of this...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
JimmyHat said:
With a baby on the way, my wife and I are looking into buying a camcorder. Something digital, so that she can transfer the video to her iBook G4 and (maybe) edit it.

I've been looking around the web, but haven't found any clear and easy to understand website with good info about camcorders.

Where do you get your info? I've seen the PCWorld camcorder stuff, camcorderinfo.com, etc. but it all seems too generic so far. Of course, I'm completely new to all of this...

I started a THIS thread a little while back when i first got my Mac Mini. Pretty much any MiniDV camcorder will do just fine. It all depends on the features you want. Don't get a DVD based camcorder. They are aweful for editing. The Mac will will pretty much do all the work for you. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
I have a JVC camcorder I picked up for about 300 bucks and iMovie picks it up fine. Made some pretty nice videos for family, as long as it has firewire iMovie will be able to control it and record the clips fine.

OP
P

Princesa

Canon MiniDV ZR600

My play camera is a little Canon MiniDV ZR600,
No specific reason why I went with it other then
it was on sale, and the battery is compatible with
the charger for my Canon Digital Rebel XT. It is
easy to use, I've put about 80 hours on it and have
had no trouble capturing footage, or with the quality.

I had a chuckle over the widescreen feature which allows
you to switch from 4:3 to 16:9.

So far no complaints for the amount it cost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Princesa said:
I had a chuckle over the widescreen feature which allows
you to switch from 4:3 to 16:9.
Can you tell us why you chuckled? I'm assuming the 16:9 isn't much good.

Reaction score
I've had good success with Sony consumer mini-dv cameras. My DCR-TRV19 is about three years old and I've probably gone through 20 mini DV tapes on it in that amount of time, Including pyrotechnic footage, which it held up to great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.