Locking osx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core duo 2 ghz, 1 gb ram, 256 Mb gfx, 500Gb storage, OSX 10.4.6 and XP sp2
Is there a way to "lock" osx in the same way as windows. I live in a shared house and im fed up of coming back to my mac to find my desktop has been changed to something obscene, haha.

Basically I want it so i can press a series of keys and it locks it and needs my pass. The same way you can set windows xp up so that you press ctrl-alt-del and it locks it. Anyway I can do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
SYSTEM PREFS > ACCOUNTS > LOGIN OPTIONS > ENABLE FAST USER SWITCHING. You will now have a little login icon in the top right corner of the screen (you can set it as your profile name as well). When you want to lock your Mac, just click on that and select LOGIN WINDOW. This will return the screen to the login Window without logging you out.

Alternately you can set the system to lock when the screen-saver comes on and it will require your password to unlock it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
or you can set up a hot corner to get your screen saveer to come on, and then under your screen saver pref's you set it to password protect in order to come back
-chris

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
That last one is exactly what I do with my Mac. I have the bottom right hand corner set as the hot corner for launching the screen saver. I then have my password required by OS X to get back in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro - 2.33GHz, 3GB RAM
Sorry to open up this long closed thread, but I have a question about locking the screen. I searched and searched for a setting that would put the computer to sleep after X minutes but was unable to find it. Also I looked for settings on whether or not to sleep the computer when the lid closes again with no avail. My question deals with running applications while locking the screen. I want to be able to lock the screen, close the screen and walk away, while still allowing my downloads (transmit, bitComet, etc.) to keep functioning. Please help...

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
If you are simply putting your screensaver on then you should still be able to continue downloading while the screensaver is active.

However when you put the Mac to sleep you are actually stopping the HD from spinning so you won't be able to download anything.

I would suggest that you put the screensaver on when you go away and then you can continue to download.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
just make sure it doesnt go onto sleep when your downloading because it will pause the download.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro - 2.33GHz, 3GB RAM
If you are simply putting your screensaver on then you should still be able to continue downloading while the screensaver is active.

However when you put the Mac to sleep you are actually stopping the HD from spinning so you won't be able to download anything.

I would suggest that you put the screensaver on when you go away and then you can continue to download.

If I put the screen saver on first, and then close the lid of my macbook pro, will the computer sleep? Or wil it stay in screen saver mode? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
If you close the lid, unless you have one of the hacks, it will go to sleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz
You can use a program like Sleepless
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17893

which will allow the machine to stay awake when the lid is closed

I have never tried this program... I know there used to be concern that this could damage a machine since the older macs (ibooks especially if i remember correctly) would literally cook themselves in some instances due to how they manage the heat from the machine...

Though... I believe that the new mbp's will allow you to remain awake when the lid is closed if an external monitor is connected to the machine... so it may be a safer thing to do nowadays...

Regardless... if you use the hack you may run into troubles...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.