So.... About that keyboard issue

R

rgivans

So has anyone figured out why the keyboard is disabled when you attempt to install XP through Boot Camp?

I have nothing in any of the ports (USB, Firewire, etc). Everything seems good until you get to the Windows setup and have to start hitting Enter and F8 to goto the next screen (right before the partitioning part).

I got Parallels to install XP just fine (installed in under 20 minutes.) But I cant run XP on a VM Drive all day, I need to run XP to the fullest for work. I run about 4 programs all day at work that take up alot of RAM so this is a must to be directly into XP Pro.

I hate to add another annoying thread about this, but I have been reading every where to get pass this keyboard not working issue that is holding me back from using my Macbook at work all day.

I do love my mac and OS X though, Ive been a long time Windows user (got my first Packard Bell 366MHz running Windows 95 when I was 12).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
hmm... what kind of keyboard are you using? and what machine are you on? i know you probably answered this in the other thread but i'm too lazy to check that thread... so if you're on a laptop and using the keyboard on the laptop i have no clue, if you're using a desktop then try using the wired keyboard apple gave you or if you don't have one go to an apple store and buy an apple keyboard and try that

OP
R

rgivans

BlindingLights said:
hmm... what kind of keyboard are you using? and what machine are you on? i know you probably answered this in the other thread but i'm too lazy to check that thread... so if you're on a laptop and using the keyboard on the laptop i have no clue, if you're using a desktop then try using the wired keyboard apple gave you or if you don't have one go to an apple store and buy an apple keyboard and try that

Black MacBook 2.0GHz

I tired to plug a USB keyboard into at that Windows install point, but it didnt reconize anything was plugged in (makes sense since its hasnt loaded drivers for USB devices to be used during Windows setup.)

Ive read alot about this happening with MacBook Pros, but I have yet to find anyone with a workable solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
The MacBook's keyboard/ trackpad are hooked up to an (internal) USB port, aren't they?

OP
R

rgivans

to_tough_to_die said:
The MacBook's keyboard/ trackpad are hooked up to an (internal) USB port, aren't they?

Ahh good point.

Im not entirely sure, but that would make sense to me. How have people got around this with their Powerbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
rgivans said:
Ahh good point.

Im not entirely sure, but that would make sense to me. How have people got around this with their Powerbook?

powerbooks run on ppc architecture, can't run boot camp...

OP
R

rgivans

BlindingLights said:
powerbooks run on ppc architecture, can't run boot camp...

My appologies, I meant Macbook Pro.

How do people with a MBP get passed the keyboard not working thing?

OP
R

rgivans

mynameis said:
My MacBook Pro keyboard worked fine through the install.

Hmmm I tried it again today and Im getting the same issue. I wonder if the copy of XP Pro SP2 has anything to do with it (build maybe?)....... ???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.