Getting a MacBook soon but....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
Getting my MacBook soon. But I'd like to know a few little things prior.

1. I have an O2 XDA 2i will I still be able to install applications and sync etc?

2. BootCamp, is it stable, Could I rely on this incase I can not install apps to a XDA 2i?

3. Will partitions with boot camp be visable to either OS? I have lots of music and video's but I don't want to have two copy of for each OS.

4. Any good FTP or SSH software? Preferance to free is better for me.

5. Care? What care should I take with a white MacBook? Do they scratch easy etc?

6. What webservers are available that have mySQL and PHP? I currently use XAMPP on WinXP.

Many help in advance for you kind words and help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
FTP and SSH come built it. You can use FTP through Finder, or SSH at the command line.

Apache also comes built is (but it's known as "web sharing"). A config file tweak turns PHP on, and installing MySQL is pretty simple (10 minute job).

As for caring for the macbook, it scratches as much as any laptop, really. Keeping it in it's case when not in use, not putting hte prongs of the plug on top of it (grr ...) etc. should be fine.

OP
symondavis
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
Cheers, thats some good news.

I didn't know if the MacBook was made of the same easily scratchable material as an IPod Colour. Well I've had a few lappys before of other brands and they've never got scratched.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
symondavis said:
Getting my MacBook soon. But I'd like to know a few little things prior.

1. I have an O2 XDA 2i will I still be able to install applications and sync etc?

2. BootCamp, is it stable, Could I rely on this incase I can not install apps to a XDA 2i?

3. Will partitions with boot camp be visable to either OS? I have lots of music and video's but I don't want to have two copy of for each OS.

Many help in advance for you kind words and help.

okay, I'll take everything that wasn't answered...

1. The O2 XDA 2i- yeah, if you have a USB cable just plug it in, or if it's bluetooth enabled use that (I'm not sure if drivers and such are available for OS X, so please read answer 2)

2. Yes, Boot Camp is EXTREMELY stable (at least for now), and I've had no problems whatsoever running it. Windows is smoother and a LOT faster than on PCs.

3. It depends on the size of your partition. If it's smaller than 32 gigs i think you can format the Windows partition as a FAT32 drive, where files CAN be read in and OS X. However, if it's any larger than that, you'll need NTFS, which in that case you can't see the files in your Windows partition under OS X.
Also, if this doesn't work out, you could use an external hard drive. Don't complain about too much music and video, I have a good forty to fifty gigs worth, and it took about forty-five minutes to copy it from external to mac. But I doubt you have fifty gigs of music and video, and if you do, it's worth the wait.

If you're installing boot camp, I suggest you follow the manual word for word. A lot of people have problems installing it, just print out the manual and follow it word for word, everyone who has so far hasn't had any problems.

Reaction score
hmmm you might be out of luck with your XDA2i and OS X, windows mobile products aren't supported in OS X by default (where as a ton of other phones are). Normally the solution is a 3rd party application called "The Missing Sync" but they don't seem to have support for the XDA2i (although they support the XDA2, see here) I suggest you email them and be very clear about the phone you have and if it will sync.

Also, about FTP, the finder can look at ftp sites and download files from them (much like you can with windows explorer) but I don't think you can write to an ftp account via the finder. In anycase, there are a couple of good free FTP apps that do the job, cyberduck is one, and I can't think of the other :eek:neye: hmmm

EDIT- yummy FTP is the other free one, but if you feel like spending some money then transmit is supposed to be the best.

OP
symondavis
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cheers people

Thanks everyone.

I suppose an external harddrive is the best bet then. Unless(I forgot about this) I use my modded xbox. Can Mac stream well over FTP?

The XDA 2i is USB, BT and WiFi. Looks like I may as well install BootCamp and use the Windows for the PDA Sync's and store my most played music/videos on a FAT32 partition.

CyberDuck looks really good. Will have to study that in more detail when I get my little MacBook.

And "The Missing Sync" Just filled out a request form for my model of PPC, fingers crossed.

Thanks again every one. You've all been a great help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.