Are there any firewall experts in the house

X

XFce

Is there a way to make Apples built in firewall more secure ?
I blocked UDP and enabled stealth mode that helps but I would like to go under advanced settings and make the firewall more secure then it already is. Maybe disable cretin ports or add some type of bsd script or apply some type of rule that would block ports that are enabled by default but are not not being used. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Apple's firewall is what it is. You can't do much else with it. You will need to go commercial (Norton for example) to get more control... unless you can figure out if iptables lies at the heart of the Mac OS X firewall - I haven't delved into that yet, but it just might. Given your userid (XFce) you may have more than a passing familiarity with iptables? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel mini early 2011 4GB
XFce said:
I blocked UDP and enabled stealth mode that helps but I would like to go under advanced settings and make the firewall more secure then it already is. Maybe disable cretin ports or add some type of bsd script or apply some type of rule that would block ports that are enabled by default but are not not being used. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Would this be of any use to you? http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/03/15/firewall.html

I haven't switched yet, so my knowledge is limited to what I've been able to find through Google and my experience with rule-based firewalls on Windows. It sounds like OS X has an excellent bi-directional firewall, one just has to write the rules directly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
XFce said:

As far as I know, all the ports in the OSX firewall are closed unless opened by a specific App (Mail, Safari etc) or manually opened by the user. They are all closed by default.

Reaction score
baggss said:
As far as I know, all the ports in the OSX firewall are closed unless opened by a specific App (Mail, Safari etc) or manually opened by the user. They are all closed by default.

Yes, unlike with windows. He he :dummy:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.