Network HELP!

Reaction score
Well, I Just got my new macbook, but I have a problem...
All of my important information and documents are on my windows pc.
I know I can use my iPod to transfer files, but was wondering if anyone could simply instruct me on creating a network with just 1 ethernet cable.
I am a beginner at this so if you could make the directions as specific as possibe, it would be *greatly* appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
AC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
You can't network 2 computers together with 1 ethernet cable unless it's a crossover cable which is wired differently then a standard ethernet cable. If you plan on keeping the PC setting up a network would probably be a good idea, but you are going to need more stuff for that. Just using the iPod is going to be the easiest way to move your files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Yeah, one network cable is not going to cut it. Just buy two, and a cheap hub. This will solve your problems. Or... connect them both to the internet and just send the files Via.. .irc or skype or aim(ichat) or ... email?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Um sorry to bust your bubbles Avcabob and Graphite, but one regular ethernet cable will do the trick just fine. I do it on a XP box on the fringe of my wireless network pretty often.

When you plug it into both, the Windows box its gonna tell you that you have limited or no connectivity, ignore this and write down the IP address of the Windows machine.

Next on the Windows box, right click on the folder you wish to access over the network. Choose properties, then the sharing tab. In the Sharing tab click the check box that says share this folder with network users, or something to that effect. You may also want to check the box about letting network users to change files, this will make the folder read and writable. Click Apply, then Okay.

Next step is back on your Mac. In finder choose Connect to Server from the Go menu. Type:

smb://IP address

Enter your Username and password if you have one for the Windows box. A network drive should show up on your desktop. Open it and copy what you want.

The easiest way to get all your stuff would be to share your entire My Documents folder so you dont have to repeat these steps for each folder it contains.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
That really shouldn't work unless one of the two computers is doing some kind of internal switching compinsating for the cable. I've seen devices have that capability before, but not in a computer before. But now that I think about it it wouldn't supprise me if Apple built that ability into their computers. I'd say give it a try and if it doesn't work at least you know why. Let us know what happens.

K

komo

you CAN connect 2 computers with ONE ethernet cable, but of course you MUST use a CROSS-OVER type cable.

there are tons of tutorial on the web if you planned to crimp the cable yourself. if you want to buy it, just ask for a cross-over cable.

maybe it's not as easy as using standard ethernet cable, but it's much cheaper than having to buy a hub :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
I think its an Apple thing, the same way you don't need a crossover cable to connect two Macs. I'm pretty sure this only works with a Mac involved. I have noticed that if Internet sharing over the ethernet performance takes a huge hit, so make sure its turned of.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.