IP address

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
Hi

I remember listening to a podcast a while ago and I seem to remember them saying that there is a way of finding out who an IP address is.

Firstly, if it is illegal or immoral what I am going to say then apologies up front but I have had a note saying someone at X IP address has tried accessing an account of mine and I am curious to who it could be.

Is there a way I can do this on a mac?

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
ip lookup is easy to find out online about their general location - to further investigate you need to talk to the ISP it's traced back to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
You need police involvement in order to get information about who had one IP at any time, so unless the person did something illegal you'll not get the information. I get a lot of passive scans on NetBIOS ports because people don't seem to think to tell Windows not to try to connect to shared drives over the internet. Nothing to worry about there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.